Saudi clerics endorse ban on female cashiersNovember 2nd, 2010 - 2:19 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Riyadh Nov 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) One of the powerful Islamic board of clerics have ruled that a fatwa, which bans women from being cashiers is right and as a result they endorse it. The country’s strict sex segregation forbids women from seeking jobs that will likely make them encounter men.
The ruling came on Sunday and it is seen as an endorsement of the call to boycott supermarkets that employ female cashiers in the country. A conservative preacher called for the boycott in August and was reprimanded. The Saudi government has placed restrictions on fatwas in the country.
Saudi Arabia which is a historic Islamic state wants to change some of its laws to reflect the modern trends in the world. That crusade is led by Saudi King Abdullah who is determined to change some of the country’s traditions to ensure that the country move with times.
However that is not exactly what most religious leaders in the country believe. Most of the country’s leading scholars who are also part of the day-to-day running of the country with the King have publicly disagreed with the King.
- Saudi chain removes female cashiers following protests - Aug 26, 2010
- Saudi Clerics Endorse a Ban on Female Cashiers - Nov 02, 2010
- Saudi king to allow only official fatwas - Aug 13, 2010
- Saudi Arabia to launch official TV, radio for fatwa - Aug 21, 2010
- Russia-Saudi Arabia: A growing strain - Sep 06, 2012
- Saudi Arabia educating its women for jobs: Louise Khurshid - Oct 24, 2010
- Osama bin Laden timeline - May 02, 2011
- Saudi Arabia needs public cinemas, says Riyadh mayor - Feb 21, 2011
- Saudi prince's funeral to be held in Mecca - Jun 17, 2012
- Saudi women petition king for right to drive - Jun 15, 2012
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Obama's pitch for moderate form of Islam comes unstuck in Indonesia - Nov 14, 2010
- Pakistani executed in Saudi Arabia - Sep 05, 2012
- Saudi law allows only women clerks in lingerie shops - Jan 05, 2012
- Saudi clerics declare French Muslim women exempt from wearing veils - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: cashiers, country move, crusade, endorsement, fatwa, fatwas, islamic state, nov 1, preacher, religious leaders, saudi arabia, saudi clerics, saudi government, saudi king abdullah, seeking jobs, sex segregation, supermarkets, traditions