Saudi Arabia urges Musharraf to call back SharifNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:45 am ICT by admin
Musharraf told the Saudi monarch that Sharif and his brother Shahbaz should only return after the general elections, sources added.
He, however, said Sharif’s wife, Kulsoom Nawaz, could return to Pakistan immediately.
The Saudis made the request after Bhutto insisted on returning to Pakistan. The Saudis are said to be mulling over Musharraf’s request.
Meanwhile, former Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif said that Musharraf was pressuring Nawaz to stay out of Pakistan through his overseas friends.
Shahbaz told the Geo News that Musharraf had sent Nawaz into forced exile with the help of his foreign friends.
He said Musharraf was still pressuring Nawaz to stop trying to return with the help of a “friendly” country.
“Saudi Arabia is closely monitoring the situation and Nawaz will be in Pakistan soon,” Shahbaz added.
Sources also said that Bhutto in her letter to Musharraf on October 16, before she returned to Pakistan, had named five former and serving officials who should be investigated in the event she was assassinated on her return.
These include IB chief Ijaz Shah, Sharif’s former top spook Imtiaz Billa, former ISI chief Hameed Gul, special prosecutor for NAB Waseem Afzal and Sindh Chief Minister Arbab Ghulam Rahim.
One of the six “suspicious” cell numbers cited in her letter led to several arrests, according to the intelligence sources, the Daily Times reported. (ANI)
- Musharraf offers olive branch to archrival Nawaz Sharif - Apr 17, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif will not contest Punjab elections - Oct 05, 2009
- Nawaz drops by-poll plan to please Saudis: Report - Feb 01, 2010
- Saudi King warns Pak to call off Musharraf 'witch hunt' - Sep 02, 2009
- Sharif likely to visit Saudi Arabia next week - Sep 06, 2009
- Musharraf claims he forgave Sharif brothers, who had 'begged' him to let them go - Oct 07, 2010
- Saudi king asks Sharif to avoid controversial issues - Sep 14, 2009
- "Optimistic" Musharraf leaves for London in 'high spirits' after Saudi visit - Sep 03, 2009
- Saudi pressure may see Musharraf to go scot-free, Sharif not contest elections till 2010 - Oct 05, 2009
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Sharif wins back 'trust' of Saudi King - Dec 14, 2010
- No pressure from Saudi Arabia on Musharraf trial: Ishaq Dar - Sep 14, 2009
- Nawaz Sharif a liar, says Musharraf - Jun 25, 2011
- Don't come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in Dubai - Jan 24, 2012
- Musharraf says Sharif will not seek his trial - Sep 14, 2009
Tags: afzal, bhutto, cell numbers, geo news, imtiaz, intelligence sources, isi chief, musharraf, nab, nawaz, overseas friends, pakistan, punjab chief minister, saudi arabia, saudi monarch, saudis, shahbaz, sharif, special prosecutor, waseem