Saudi Arabia nabs 11 Al Qaeda suspects (Lead)April 8th, 2009 - 5:43 am ICT by IANS
Riyadh, April 8 (DPA) Eleven suspected members Al Qaeda terrorist network were arrested by security officials in Saudi Arabia, the interior ministry announced Tuesday.
The terrorist cell was held during a special opereation on the kingdom’s southern border with Yemen. The group had been carrying several weapons.
According to the interior ministry statement, the detainees, who were hiding near the border, were planning attacks against Saudi security personnel, along with kidnappings and armed robberies to raise money for their terrorist operations.
Saudi television aired shots of the cell’s hiding place that contained all of their arms, which included pistols, shotguns, ammunition and explosive belts. The detainees, who were all Saudis, had huge amounts of food and different kinds of cameras in their possession.
In March, the Yemeni interior ministry issued a list of 154 most-wanted Al Qaeda suspects that included 85 Saudis.
It was not clear whether Tuesday’s detainees were among those on the Yemeni list.
Yemen, the ancestral homeland of fugitive Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, has faced a rising tide of terrorist attacks as militants seek to strengthen their base in the country.
Yemen and Saudi Arabia have swapped dozens of suspects in recent year under a security agreement signed in 2004.
In February, Yemen sent back to Saudi Arabia Mohammed al-Awfi, an Al Qaeda commander, after he turned himself in to Yemeni authorities.
- Al Qaeda wanted to attack Saudi capital - Dec 03, 2010
- Osama's son-in-law on Interpol's wanted list - Jan 12, 2011
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Alleged Detroit plotters were ex-Guantanamo inmates: Report - Dec 30, 2009
- 113 Al Qaeda-linked militants arrested in Saudi Arabia - Mar 24, 2010
- Yemen extradites five suspected terrorists to Saudi Arabia - Mar 29, 2009
- 11 Al Qaeda terrorists held in Saudi Arabia - Apr 08, 2009
- Saudi Arabia looking for Bin Laden's son-in-law, 47 others - Jan 14, 2011
- Al-Qaeda planned to use poisoned perfume to kill Saudi govt. officials - Dec 05, 2010
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- US asks Yemeni president to hand over power - Jul 11, 2011
- Senior Al Qaeda member surrenders to Saudi authorities - May 05, 2011
- American born radical cleric al-Awlaki linked to UK terror plot - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: ancestral homeland, armed robberies, country yemen, detainees, hiding place, interior ministry, kidnappings, ministry statement, nabs, rising tide, saudi arabia, saudis, security agreement, security officials, security personnel, southern border, terrorist cell, terrorist network, terrorist operations, yemeni authorities