Saudi Arabia halts Afghan mediationNovember 7th, 2010 - 1:48 pm ICT by ANI
Riyadh, Nov 7 (ANI): Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal has said that Riyadh has halted mediation efforts between the Afghan government and the Taliban because the fundamentalist movement has refused to break ties with al-Qaida.
Last February, Afghan President Hamid Karzai sent a small delegation of former Taliban members to Saudi Arabia to seek help in kick-starting talks with the Taliban.
The Saudis, however have said that the kingdom would not help unless the Taliban ends all ties with Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaida terror network. That is also a key demand of both the U.S. and Afghanistan, the Washington Post reports.
The Taliban is unwilling to hold formal peace talks until the U.S. agrees to a timetable to withdraw all foreign troops, it added. (ANI)
- Yemen to get over $3 billion Saudi Arabian aid - May 24, 2012
- Afghan peace efforts: OIC likely to invite Taliban 'as observers' to March summit - Jan 20, 2011
- Saudi Arabia asks Iran to free Osama's daughter - Jan 03, 2010
- Saudi Arabia honours Indian envoy - Jul 12, 2011
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Salman crown prince - Jun 20, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Zardari to attend Islamic meet in Saudi Arabia - Jul 29, 2012
- Taliban can't defeat US but can choose to abandon al-Qaida: Clinton - May 03, 2011
- Saudi consulate staffer shot dead in Karachi - May 16, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation talks in 'final stages': Hamas - Jan 04, 2010
- Saudi Arabia concerned over prevalence of 'dangerous trends in Pakistan' - Feb 28, 2010
- Saudi wanted joint Arab-US-NATO force to destroy Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon - Dec 08, 2010
- Statement by former U.S. President Clinton on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Saudi King Abdullah names Prince Naif crown prince - Oct 28, 2011
- Saudi prince's funeral services held in Mecca (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: afghan government, afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, al qaida, foreign minister, formal peace, fundamentalist movement, hamid karzai, mediation efforts, osama bin laden, peace talks, president hamid karzai, prince saud al faisal, riyadh, saud al faisal, saudi arabia, saudis, taliban, terror network, washington post