(SATURDAY) ‘Heroine’ soundtrack spreads Bollywood flavour (IANS Music Review)August 31st, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Heroine”; Music Director: Salim-Sulaiman; Lyricist: Niranjan Iyengar; Singers: Sunidhi Chauhan, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Aditi Singh Sharma, Benny Dayal, Shreya Ghoshal and Shraddha Pandit; Rating: *** 1/2
Madhur Bhandarkar’s upcoming film “Heroine” has been courting controversies galore right from the beginning when Aishwarya Rai, who was to play the lead, quit the project due to her pregnancy. However, her replacement Kareena Kapoor looks fabulous in the promos and promises a glamorous affair. The music is an interesting mix that has been composed by Salim-Sulaiman, who had worked earlier with Bhandarkar in “Fashion”.
There arefive tracks in the album that have been penned by Niranjan Iyengar.
The album kicks off with in bang as “Halkat jawani” packs a punch with amazing guitar riffs. The sound is peppy and very Bollywood, in sync with the mood of the film. Sunidhi Chauhan, the queen of item songs, is flawless. The way she croons “Aaja” in the beginning is simply mind-blowing. There is a retro touch combined with ‘dhol’ beats and harmonium making it an instant chartbuster. The lyrics too are simple yet effective. This one you will just play on and on.
Next up is “Saaiyaan”, a heart wrenching melody by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. The song uses violin quite well in order to create the mood of sadness and heartache. However, it is not too different from the singer’s previous hits and there is not a whiff of freshness in the song. The song had a lot of potential and could have been given a better treatment both by the singer and the composers.
It is followed by “Main heroine hoon” that has been sung by Aditi Singh Sharma of “Dilli Dilli” fame. There are elements of dubstep to push the tempo up and they work nicely with Aditi’s rustic and powerful voice. The lyrics match well with the protagonist’s portrayal but the high point is definitely the sound of sitar laced with electronic sounds.
The sounds of piano and violin greet you as “Khawhashein” comes up bringing out gloominess through the voice of Shreya Ghosal. She proves once again why she is the most sought after female singer in B-town. There is so much flexibility in her voice that there is always something to explore. She goes high and low with ease as the songs transforms itself into a soft-rock ballad in some intervals with the guitar riffs. This one is a winner all the way.
Last but definitely not the least is “Tujhpe fida”, crooned by Benny Dayal. A good number to shake a leg, as it is high on energy with the electronic loops and techno sounds. Shraddha Pandit supports him well in the vocals and her rendition of the line “Tujhpe fida” comes out really well. Although the track stretches a bit long, it is nonetheless a fine listen.
Thus, despite just five tracks, the “Heroine” soundtrack composed in Bollywood style is a total “paisa vasool” album that has all the filmy elements and moods to satiate your musical appetite. Just go for it.
- 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan's music interplay of folk and fun (IANS Music Review) - Aug 12, 2011
- Fun elements make 'Band Baaja Baaraat' an entertainer album (IANS Music Review) - Nov 10, 2010
- Lack of freshness in 'Always Kabhi Kabhi' album (IANS Music Review) - May 22, 2011
- 'Knock Out' album has one good number - 'Khushnuma se ye' (IANS Music Review) - Oct 03, 2010
- Light, enjoyable tracks in 'Love Breakups Zindagi' (IANS Music Review) - Sep 18, 2011
- 'Aashayein' essentially a pack of love songs (IANS Music Review) - Aug 02, 2010
- Top 10 Bollywood songs (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Independent music returning in a big way: Salim Merchant - Apr 06, 2012
- Average score by Reshammia in 'Bodyguard' (IANS Music Review) - Jul 31, 2011
- 'Teri Meri Kahaani' beautifully captures three eras (IANS Music Review) - Jun 01, 2012
- 'RA.One' music rocks (IANS Music Review) - Sep 16, 2011
- Pritam at creative best in 'Mausam' (IANS Music Review) - Aug 17, 2011
- 'Dum Maaro Dum' music offers variety (IANS Music Review) - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Student of the Year' songs peppy, likeable (IANS Music Review) - Sep 10, 2012
- Pritam packs entertaining songs in 'Ready' album (IANS Music Review) - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: aditi, aishwarya rai, dayal, dhol beats, dubstep, fateh ali khan, guitar riffs, harmonium, jawani, kareena kapoor, pandit, powerful voice, rahat fateh ali, rahat fateh ali khan, right from the beginning, salim sulaiman, shraddha, shreya ghoshal, sitar, upcoming film