Sarkozy uses footstool to tower over Brown, Obama!June 10th, 2009 - 12:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 10 (ANI): After stacked heels and standing on tiptoe, undersized French President Nicolas Sarkozy has found a new way to make up for his lack of inches - a footstool.
A video caught Sarkozy, who is just 5ft 5ins, using the discreet wooden accessory during the D-Day commemorations in Normandy last weekend.
The decision to install the footstool may have been influenced by the fact he was using the same lectern as Gordon Brown, Barack Obama and Canadian premier Stephen Harper, reports The Daily Express.
“The footstool was put in place just before Mr Sarkozy made one of his speeches in Normandy,” said a source at French TV station Canal Plus, which produced the video at Colleville-sur-Mer on Saturday.
“He knew he was appearing on the same podium as far taller world leaders and would have looked ridiculous using a lectern set at their height.
“You’d barely have been able to see Mr Sarkozy’s hair bobbing up and down.
“Combined with his stacked heels, the platform allowed Mr Sarkozy to look as though he was an impressive height, although there were sniggers from those of us who could see what was really going on,” the source added.
Carla Bruni, the President’s statuesque wife, has confessed that she abhors when people mock her for wearing flat-heeled pumps to try to disguise the five-inch height difference between the couple.
The 41-year-old former supermodel turned First Lady, who is 5ft 10ins, said she could accept almost all the pressures of fame - except attacks on the husband she calls “mon petit chou chou” - literally “little cabbage” but usually translated as little darling. (ANI)
- Nicolas Sarkozy carries lectern to stand tall during keynote speech! - Mar 31, 2010
- Sarkozy surrounds himself by 20 'short people' to 'look tall' - Sep 07, 2009
- Obama leaves France, ending landmark trip - Jun 07, 2009
- Advertisment mocks short Sarkozy - Apr 28, 2010
- British women shortest in Europe, wear highest heels - Jul 20, 2012
- Obama, Sarkozy warn Iran on nuclear weapons - Jun 06, 2009
- 9 inch 'Sky Heel' is the tallest shoe to hit stores next year - Nov 12, 2010
- Pregnant Lily Allen gives up stilettoes - Sep 27, 2010
- 5ft 5inch tall Sarkozy 'bans tall workers from factory walkabout' - Jun 15, 2010
- French car advertisement ridicules Nicolas Sarkozy's height - Apr 27, 2010
- Carla Bruni strokes Nicolas Sarkozy's bum in public - May 20, 2009
- How 5ft 7Tom Cruise stands as tall as heel-wearing 5ft9 Cameron Diaz - Sep 30, 2010
- Sarkozy lied about visiting Fukushima - Apr 13, 2012
- Sarkozy's 'stepping on steps' mantra to tower over taller women in heels! - Sep 29, 2010
- Romanian 'shoe architect' makes heels to help women grow 12 inches! - May 07, 2010
Tags: barack obama, carla bruni, chou chou, colleville sur mer, d day, daily express, footstool, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, french tv, heeled pumps, impressive height, lectern, little cabbage, mon petit chou, nicolas sarkozy, president nicolas sarkozy, sniggers, statuesque, stephen harper