Sarkozy to quit politics if he loses electionMarch 9th, 2012 - 5:35 am ICT by IANS
Paris, March 9 (IANS) French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said he will abandon his political career if he fails to win a second mandate as president in the upcoming elections.
France will hold the first round of the presidential polls April 22 and the second round run-off May 6.
In an interview with local radio RMC, the incumbent president said he would try his best to win voters’ confidence, to protect the French people and to lead them in building a strong France.
“But if that is not your choice, I will bow out,” he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Sarkozy has proposed numerous reforms ranging from employment to tax during his public appearances since he declared his candidature in February.
He has also decided to go all out for the populist, conservative voter, with a harsh tone on immigrants and the ritual killing associated with halal meat products, Xinhua said.
However, with six weeks to go before the first round of vote, Sarkozy’s key rival, Socialist Party candidate Francois Hollande is projected to seize a strong lead over Sarkozy in the presidential election.
A survey by pollster BVA for the daily Le Parisien said Hollande remained the clear favourite with 33 percent vote in the first round.
The poll put Hollande at 59 percent in the second round, beating Sarkozy who would garner 41 percent of votes.
- Sarkozy concedes defeat, wishes Hollande good luck - May 07, 2012
- Sarkozy challenges Hollande to public debates - Apr 23, 2012
- Millions of French vote to decide Sarkozy's fate (Third Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- France votes in crucial presidential run-off - May 06, 2012
- France votes to choose Sarkozy or Hollande (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- France votes as Sarkozy's fate hangs in balance (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande vows to bring change - May 07, 2012
- Hollande gives Sarkozy a run for his money (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Hollande, the next French president (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Hollande beats Sarkozy in French presidential polls (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Hollande wins first round of France poll (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- French presidential election starts (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- Hollande 'wins first round' of France poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- French presidential polls begin in overseas regions - May 06, 2012
Tags: bva, elections france, francois hollande, french people, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, harsh tone, incumbent president, le parisien, meat products, nicolas sarkozy, paris march, pollster, president nicolas sarkozy, presidential polls, public appearances, radio rmc, socialist party candidate, upcoming elections, xinhua