‘Sarkar Raj’ gets green carpet premiere at IIFAJune 6th, 2008 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, June 6 (IANS) A dazzling ‘Green Carpet’ welcome was given to Ram Gopal Varma’s “Sarkar Raj” that premiered on the opening day of the three-day International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards gala here Friday evening as scores of fans chanted “Abhishek, Abhishek”, to welcome Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan, who stars in the film with his glamorous wife Aishwarya and iconic father Amitabh. The three Bachchans were the cynosure of all eyes at the Paragon Cineplex, where the movie was screened and which was splashed with numerous posters of the film.
Hordes of Indian and foreign fans were waiting to catch a glimpse of their favourite stars at the venue.
Sahej, 12, a girl from Chandigarh, has come to Bangkok for a vacation. “I came to know that IIFA was taking place here only on the flight. So I came here to watch the stars,” a gushing Sahej told IANS.
Another young fan, 16-year-old Rishi from Kolkata, wanted to watch the premiere of the film but could only manage to see the film stars. “I tried to get the passes for the movie, but couldn’t. But I am happy to have seen my favourite stars here,” he said.
Though the Bachchan family kept their fans waiting for almost two hours, it failed to dampen their enthusiasm to see the stars walk down the green carpet. The IIFA decided on a green carpet premiere to show its concern over global warming.
Amitabh walked in with his wife Jaya Bachchan, followed by Abhishek and Aishwarya. Among other Indian star celebrities at the premiere were Shabana Azmi, Javed Akhtar, David Dhawan, Navin Nischol, Ajay Bijli, Zayed Khan, veteran actress Mumtaz with her daughters and also Neil Nitin Mukesh.
Though Kareena Kapoor, Viveik Oberoi, Urmila Matondkar and Diya Mirza are here to attend the IIFA, they preferred to give the “Sarkar Raj” premiere a miss.
Thai princess Sirindhorn, who was to attend the premiere, arrived late amid tight security after all the stars had settled down, and made a quiet exit.
The high numbers of foreign media covering the IIFA is an indication of the success of the event. Foreign media persons even sat and watched “Sarkar Raj”.
The IIFA, which aims to promote brand Bollywood beyond Indian shores, is in its ninth edition. It has travelled across three continents and eight countries since its inception in 2000. Last year it was held in Yorkshire.
- 'Sarkar 3' on cards, sans Aishwarya - Apr 25, 2012
- Abhay misses Khans, Bachchans at IIFA - Jun 07, 2012
- If Work Schedules Permit, We Will Attend IIFA: Abhishek Bachchan - Jan 21, 2011
- With stars, dance, music - IIFA spreads Indian fever in Toronto (Review) - Jun 27, 2011
- When Toronto was Bolly-wooed and bowled over - Jun 27, 2011
- Bachchans bring house down at 'Raavan' premiere in London (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Bachchans, Kapoors bury the hatchet at IIFA (IIFA Diary) - Jun 07, 2008
- Bachchan evacuated from London hotel following suspected explosion - Jan 18, 2011
- Toronto to see largest galaxy of Bollywood stars - Jun 16, 2011
- Bollywood is huge draw in Sri Lanka - Apr 26, 2010
- I didn't skip IIFA: Abhishek Bachchan - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Double Dhamaal' cast creates dhamaal in Toronto! - Jun 24, 2011
- RGV's next with Abhishek again - Mar 14, 2012
- 'Raj Kapoor martini' and 'Raja Hotel' mark IIFA in Toronto - Jun 20, 2011
- Amitabh's wax statue showcased at IIFA Macau - Jun 11, 2009
Tags: abhishek and aishwarya, abhishek bachchan, actress mumtaz, carpet premiere, carpet welcome, david dhawan, diya mirza, indian star, jaya bachchan, kareena kapoor, navin nischol, nitin mukesh, princess sirindhorn, quiet exit, sarkar raj, shabana azmi, urmila matondkar, veteran actress, wife jaya, zayed khan