Sarah Palin’s Iowa visit spurs talk of US Presidential runDecember 7th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 7(ANI): Former U.S. Vice-Presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s visit to Iowa, where she was greeted by hundreds of admirers, has fuelled speculation about a possible Presidential run against Barack Obama in 2012.
Iowa’s caucuses traditionally kick off the presidential nominating season, and Republican strategists see the stop in Palin’s national book-signing tour as a signal not to be missed.
“No politician comes to Iowa by accident. Every politician knows the implications when they set foot here,’ The Telegraph quoted Tim Albrecht, a Republican strategist, as saying.
Several supporters also described Palin as a down to earth person and someone they thought might lead the country in future.
“She’s a down to earth person who will fight against the Government. I can see her out there fishing with the guys. Plus, she’s hot,” said Stan Millage, a supporter from Sioux City.
While, another supporter, Grant Buldhaupt, said: “I think she’s one of the few individuals who can whip Congress into shape.”
Recent polls and political analysis had also suggested that Palin is still a political heavyweight.
According to the Des Moines Register’s Iowa poll, as many as 68 percent of Iowa Republicans view Palin favorably. She also ranked higher than former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who won 66 percent of Iowa Republicans’ approval.
Palin also beat out former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, who is viewed favorably by 58 percent of the state’s GOP voters.
Her popularity numbers have also edged up in the national polls in recent months, to the point where they were nearly equal to Obama’s. It is believed that her recent book tour may have boosted her popularity. (ANI)
- GOP candidate to debate in Sioux City Iowa - Dec 16, 2011
- Palin's favorability ratings drop to new low: Poll - Mar 17, 2011
- Callista Gingrich is in the spotlight - Dec 24, 2011
- Sarah Palin still an American political heavyweight - Nov 24, 2009
- Obama's popularity rising, Palin's falling for 2012 Presidential elections: Poll - Dec 29, 2010
- Sarah Palin might launch Presidential bid at Iowa book-signing tour - Dec 07, 2009
- US Presidential wannabe Mike Huckabee way ahead of Republican rivals, finds poll - Jan 13, 2011
- Romney GOP's only New Hampshire hope: Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Obama's rating plunges, yet ahead of GOP rivals: Poll - Apr 20, 2011
- US Presidential wannabe Huckabee way ahead of Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 03, 2011
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Ex-Massachusetts Governor Romney's Nevada edge getting smaller - Apr 29, 2011
- Romney, Santorum face showdown in Obama's home state - Mar 20, 2012
- Romney faces tough fight in deep South (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Mike Pence Tops Republican's 2012 Presidential Nominee Choice - Sep 19, 2010
Tags: barack obama, caucuses, des moines register, earth person, former house speaker newt gingrich, gop voters, governor mitt romney, house speaker newt gingrich, iowa poll, iowa republicans, iowa visit, massachusetts governor, millage, mitt romney, national polls, newt gingrich, republican strategist, republican strategists, sarah palin, speaker newt gingrich