Sarah Palin e-mail hacker gets one year in jailNovember 13th, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 13 (ANI): Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin’s e-mail hacker has been sentenced to a year in state custody.
The student was sentenced after being convicted of hacking into Palin’s email account in 2008.
Prosecutors said that David Kernell guessed the answers to Palin’s security questions and reset her password.
Defence lawyers tried to defend the offence as a youthful prank, as they said Kernell was a 20-year-old student at the University of Tennessee when he committed the crime.
The judge recommended his term be served in a halfway house instead of prison.
Palin, the 2008 Republican vice-presidential candidate, compared the hacking to the Watergate scandal that brought down President Richard Nixon.
Kernell, son of Democratic Tennessee state legislator Mike Kernell, apologised to former Alaska governor and her family after the sentence was handed down.
In 2008 a hacker broke into a Yahoo! e-mail account used by Ms Palin and revealed several inconsequential personal messages.
Though, Palin did not immediately comment on the sentencing, she wrote on her facebook page after the conviction of Kennell.
“My family and I are thankful that the jury thoroughly and carefully weighed the evidence and issued a just verdict,” the BBC quoted her as she wrote. (ANI)
- Sarah Palin's e-mail hacker sentenced to 1 year and 1 day in prison - Nov 13, 2010
- Student found guilty of hacking Sarah Palin's e-mail account - May 01, 2010
- Palin's e-mail hacker starts prison term - Jan 14, 2011
- Sarah Palin's e-mail hacker convicted - May 01, 2010
- Palins e-mail account hacker faces three fresh charges - Mar 10, 2009
- Three Verdicts Established In The Case Of The Hacking Of Sarah Palin's Email - Apr 30, 2010
- Verdict In Deadlock In Sarah Palin Hacking Case - Apr 30, 2010
- Hacker says it was easy to break into Palin''s e-mail - Sep 20, 2008
- Sarah Palin accused of being a 'paranoid' woman - Feb 23, 2011
- Palin's former staff asks for delay of over 25,000 emails for 15th time - Dec 29, 2010
- Defendant In Sarah Palin Hacking Case Considers Testifying - Apr 26, 2010
- US man faces 5-yrs jail for reading wife's emails without permission - Dec 28, 2010
- Palin''s e-mails hacking shows how easy it is to break into a web account - Sep 25, 2008
- Ex-aide attacks Sarah Palin in new book - Feb 20, 2011
- Beware of Valentine's spam, warns IT security firm - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: alaska governor sarah palin, apologised, defence lawyers, e mail account, email account, governor sarah palin, halfway house, kernell, mail hacker, personal messages, president richard nixon, richard nixon, sarah palin, security questions, state custody, state legislator, university of tennessee, watergate scandal, yahoo e mail, yahoo e mail account