Sarah Burton’s army of 100 guarded Kate’s fairytale dress secretApril 30th, 2011 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr 30 (ANI): It really was a mammoth task to keep her wedding dress a secret, but the new Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, managed it with royal excellence and with some help, of course.
Alexander McQueen designer Sarah Burton had a small army of about 100 who not only carried out painstakingly detailed work on the dress round the clock, but also had to be extremely discreet about it.
In addition to her own team, Burton worked with graduates, students, tutors and past and current staff at the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court Palace.
According to a palace statement, “The workers washed their hands every 30 minutes to keep the lace and threads pristine, and the needles were renewed every three hours to keep them sharp and clean.”
“The secret nearly came out when Sarah Burton was spotted at the Goring Hotel [where Kate spent her last night before the wedding],” the New York Post quoted a source as saying.
“But it didn’t even slightly affect the impact of when Kate stepped out of her car at the Abbey,” the source added. (ANI)
- Designing Kate's wedding dress was an honour: Sarah Burton - Apr 30, 2011
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Was Kate's wedding gown inspired by Grace Kelly's nuptial dress? - Apr 30, 2011
- McQueen's successor to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress? - Mar 07, 2011
- Sarah Burton is the dress designer for Kate Middleton - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate weds in white Sarah Burton gown (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Alexander McQueen label denies making Kate Middleton's wedding dress - Mar 07, 2011
- Kate Middleton's dress rakes in 10 million in ticket sales - Jul 19, 2012
- Catherine's wedding gown to go on display - Jun 07, 2011
- After royal wedding, Will-Kat partied till early hours (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Now, Chinese tailors copy Kate's wedding gown - May 01, 2011
- Pippa Middleton: Playing the perfect maid of honour - Apr 29, 2011
- Vogue editor 'urged Kate Middleton to pick McQueen dress for wedding' - Mar 08, 2011
- Chinese brides-to-be eye Kate's wedding gown - May 04, 2011
Tags: 30 minutes, abbey, alexander mcqueen, cambridge, current staff, duchess, fairytale, goring hotel, graduates, hampton court palace, kate middleton, lace, mammoth task, needles, new york post, royal school of needlework, sarah burton, team burton, tutors, wedding dress