Sarabjit Singh’s wife pleads to Centre to bring her husband backMarch 16th, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by admin
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Bhikhiwind (Punjab), Mar 16 (ANI): The day on which the jail authorities in Pakistan reportedly received Sarabjit Singh’s death warrant, his wife has appealed to the Indian Government to intervene into the matter without any delay.
According to media reports, the death warrant for Sarabjit was received by authorities at Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore where he has been languishing for the last 17 years and will be executed on April 1.
Sarabjit Singh’s family is grief stricken after hearing the news of issuance of the death warrant.
“I don’t know what to say, I just need by innocent husband back with me,” said Sarabjit Singh’s wife Sukhpreet Kaur.
She said that her husband was the victim of mistaken identity.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is actually Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people.
“I really fail to understand why not any government official here was ready to tell us the present status of my husband,” complained Sukhpreet.
Sarabjit’s daughter Poonam, who is giving her class X board exams, said: “At least we deserve to know what is the fate of my father in Pakistan.”
Sarbjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur and his elder daughter Swapandeep are in Delhi to generate support for his release.
It may be recalled that in an attempt to put a pressure on the governments of India and Pakistan, Dalbir had earlier threatened self-immolation.
The Indian Government has pressed for clemency for Sarabjit, but has not made a formal request on his behalf.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has rejected a mercy plea of Sarabjit close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner who was recently released by the neighbouring country.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court had also rejected Sarabjit’s mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: board exams, bomb blasts, class x, country pakistan, death row prisoner, death warrant, elder daughter, formal request, india and pakistan, indian government, jail authorities, mercy petition, mistaken identity, multan, neighbouring country, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, poonam, president pervez musharraf, self immolation