Sarabjit Singh hanging put on hold till April 30March 19th, 2008 - 4:42 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) The hanging of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh in Pakistan has been put on hold until April 30, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Lok Sabha Wednesday. “I am happy to inform the house that high commissioner of India in Islamabad informed a little while ago that President of Pakistan Pervez Musharraf has stayed the execution of Sarabjit Singh till April 30,” said Mukherjee.
Sarabjit Singh was arrested in 1990 near the India-Pakistan border. He was charged and later convicted for spying as well as carrying out four bombings that killed 14 people and injured dozens more in Lahore and Faisalabad.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court upheld his 1991 death sentence in 2006 and he was scheduled to be executed April 1.
Mukherjee told the lower house of the parliament that the government was “continuing its efforts to secure the life of Sarabjit Singh”.
Terming the staying of execution as a “partial success”, the minister assured the house that the government would take every step to save Sarabjit Singh.
The members present in the house received Mukherjee’s announcement with thumping applause.
Public opinion in India has been strongly in favour of clemency for Sarabjit Singh.
- Family relieved as Sarabjit execution if put off - Mar 19, 2008
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: applause, bombings, clemency, death sentence, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, faisalabad pakistan, high commissioner of india, india pakistan, islamabad, lahore, Lok Sabha, march 19, New Delhi, pakistan border, partial success, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, president of pakistan, public opinion