Santoro’s dining choices don’t include French cuisine (Australian Open notebook)

January 24th, 2009 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS  

Andy RoddickMelbourne, Jan 24 (DPA) It will be anything but French cuisine for Fabrice Santoro after the legendary veteran played his final match at the Australian Open, going down to Andy Roddick in the third round.Santoro, 36 and due to retire later this year, was surprised with an on-court ceremony to mark his long run at Melbourne Park, where he first played in 1991 as a teenager.

Along with the verbal accolades from Tennis Australia and his opponent, Santoro also received a voucher good for a meal with his team anywhere in Melbourne.

Now the Swiss-based bon vivant is looking for dining suggestions Down Under. “Can you help me,” he said to a questioner in his post-match media.

“Not French, I have plenty of time for a French restaurant. But find a good place, I have to celebrate.”

The man they call the magician for his unique two-fisted attack off both forehand and backhand wings said he was moved by the presentation ceremony.

“I was not expecting at all the ceremony on the court, it was something very emotional for me,” he said. “We are so far from France at one of the biggest tournaments in the world.

“Being on the court with a microphone and talking to the crowd, probably live TV in France, I was not ready for that.”

Hewitt fined for frustration

High-profile Lleyton Hewitt heads a shame list of players who have copped fines for bad behavior during the first week of the Australian Open.

The former number one was forced to pay $1,500 for verbal abuse during his disheartening first-round loss to Fernando Gonzalez.

Aussie young gun Brydan Klein followed in Hewitt’s footsteps as he drew a $1,000 sanction for an audible obscenity as he went out to Swiss Stan Wawrinka.

Russian Dmitry Tursunov had been hit the hardest so far with a $2,500 fine for verbal abuse and $500 for racket abuse as he lost in the opening round.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |