Santa Claus is dishonest, says Turkish imamDecember 29th, 2011 - 9:45 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Muslim cleric in Turkey has issued a warning to people from the community about Santa Claus, who he described as a “dishonest” person as he climbs down suspiciously through a chimney instead of coming in through the door.
Imam Suleiman Eniceri of Kuzan town, around 520 km from the capital city of Ankara, said it was “suspicious” that Santa Claus brings presents into a house by climbing down a chimney or through windows.
“If he was an honest person he would come through the door as we do,” Italy’s Corriere della Sera newspaper quoted the imam as saying.
The cleric cited a passage in the Quran that calls on the faithful to enter houses through doors.
“Christmas is not our festival,” he said, and warned Turkish Muslims against drinking alcohol.
Turkey’s population comprises over 96 percent Muslims and less than one percent Christians. At the same time it is a secular state with many European traditions.
- Turkish imam says Santa Claus 'dishonest' - Dec 29, 2011
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- Monti to govern till 2013: Berlusconi - Nov 21, 2011
- Abducted Italian journalists kept hostage in Tripoli - Aug 25, 2011
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Muslim cleric shot dead in Russia - Jun 14, 2011
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- Drug bust at Berlusconi company - Nov 08, 2011
- Nine held trying to take control of mosques - Sep 27, 2011
- Egypt confirms bid was made on ex-vice president's life - Feb 24, 2011
- 24,000 'stolen' brides in Kyrgyzstan in three years - May 11, 2012
- Cash-strapped Italy to free thousands of prisoners - Dec 15, 2011
- Two Russians jailed for raping 83-year-old woman - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: ankara, chimney, christians, christmas, corriere della sera, dishonest person, doors, drinking alcohol, european traditions, honest person, imam, moscow, muslim cleric, muslims, population, quran, ria novosti, santa claus, secular state, tb