Sania overcomes Groenefeld to reach Wimbledon second round (Lead)June 22nd, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 22 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza made light of the second set loss to outlast German Anna-Lena Groenefeld 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 in the opening round at the Wimbledon tennis championships here Monday.
The 22-year-old Hyderabadi maintained her unbeaten record against the 52nd ranked German, beating her for the third successive time. She next plays 28th-seeded Romanian Sorana Cirstea, who beat compatriot Edina Gallovits 7-5, 6-1.
Sania looked good to wrap up the match in straight sets but a lapse in concentration saw her literally throw away the second set.
The 85th-ranked Indian sprinted to a 4-1 lead in the first set and with another break in the seventh game, comfortably served out the set.
However, Groenefeld, after saving three breakpoints in the first game of the second set, came back strongly to break Sania immediately. The Indian was erratic and only in the fourth game could she hold her serve for the first time in the set. Sania then broke Groenefeld immediately at love to reduce the deficit.
However, it turned out to be a temporary reprieve for the Indian as the German effected another break to go 4-2 ahead. Groenefeld then broke Sania in the eighth game to make it set-all.
In the decider, Sania regrouped her game and with couple of early breaks swiftly moved ahead 5-1, before the German held for the second time in the set. With an ace, Sania set up the match point, which she converted with a backhand winner.
- Stosur breaks Australia's heart (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- US Open: Wozniacki rallies; Federer, Williams cruise to quarters - Sep 06, 2011
- Asian Games tennis: Sania in singles, mixed doubles quarters (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Pennetta crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 25, 2012
- Sania Mirza advances to second round - Jun 22, 2009
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Sania-Gallovits in doubles semis at Guangzhou - Sep 18, 2010
- Australian Open: Stosur stunned; Djokovic, Sharapova advance - Jan 17, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sania crashes out in singles first round - Jun 21, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Kinoshita not so lucky in the final against Shlomo - May 14, 2011
- Somdev stuns World No. 31 Raonic, Sania loses to Kirilenko (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Bopanna-Qureshi, Paes-Black in US Open quarter-finals - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: ace, anna lena groenefeld, breakpoints, compatriot, concentration, decider, edina gallovits, eighth game, first game, hyderabadi, India, lena, match point, reprieve, sania mirza, second time, straight sets, unbeaten record, wimbledon, wimbledon tennis championships