Sania makes a shocking first round exit from French OpenMay 26th, 2009 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 26 (IANS) Sania Mirza crashed out of French Open first round, losing 4-6, 6-7(3) to Kazakhstan’s Galina Voskoboeva at Roland Garros here Tuesday.
Sania, ranked 91, fought hard but failed to measure upto her 95th ranked opponent in their second meeting. The two are now levelled 1-1 and had previously met in hard courts of San Diego in 2005, where Sania had beaten Voskoboeva.
The 22-year-old Hyderabadi committed 10 double faults with a poor 27 per cent second serve in the 99-minute clash.
The Kazakh girl was quick to race ahead 4-2 after an early break in the first set and after couple of easy holds went 1-0 up. Sania had her opportunities but wasted four break points.
Voskoboeva began the second set in the same vein, breaking Sania’s serve in the very first game only to drop her’s in the second. The Kazakh then pulled one off in the seventh game for a 4-3 lead but Sania broke back in tenth to enforce a tie-break where Voskoboeva prevailed.
Sania will now compete in the doubles event, where she partnering Chia-Jung Chuang of Chinese Taipei(Taiwan) will open against Turkey’s Ipek Senoglu and Belgium’s Yanina Wickmayer.
Sania had missed the French Open last year due to a chronic wrist injury that sidelined her for much of last year. She hasn’t had much matches on clay this season though she participated in the Madrid Masters doubles after failing to make it to the singles main draw.
Sania has never moved beyond the second round of the French Open.
- Winning start for Sania in French Open doubles, Bopanna bows out - May 27, 2009
- French Open: Sania-Bhupathi in final, Paes-Vesnina knocked out (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi sail into French Open final (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Paes, Bhupathi to meet local pairs in French Open - May 25, 2009
- French Open: Paes, Bhupathi in mixed doubles second round - May 26, 2011
- Good day for Indians in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- We'll win a Grand Slam doubles title some day: Vesnina - Jun 04, 2011
- Sania-Rushmi crash out of Olympic tennis - Jul 29, 2012
- Wimbledon: Somdev knocked out of men's singles (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena advance, Bopanna-Qureshi ousted (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Wimbledon: Paes-Bhupathi, Somdev and Sania advance in doubles - Jun 25, 2011
- Sania to open her French Open campaign against Voskoboeva - May 22, 2009
- Paes crashes out, Sania stays afloat in doubles (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
- French Open: Paes in mixed doubles quarters, exits from doubles - May 28, 2011
- Asian Games tennis: Sania in singles, mixed doubles quarters (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: break points, chia jung chuang, chinese taipei, clash, double faults, first game, french open, french open paris, galina voskoboeva, hyderabadi, ipek senoglu, kazakh, madrid masters, opponent, roland garros, sania mirza, taipei taiwan, tie break, wrist injury, yanina wickmayer