Sania advances at Indian WellsMarch 13th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Indian Wells (California), March 13 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza rallied from a set down to beat Mariya Koryttseva of Ukraine 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the first round of the $4.5 million BNP Paribas Open here.
The 87th-ranked Indian wildcard Thursday struggled with her serve initially and was broken thrice by her 96th-ranked opponent in the first set. But 22-year-old Sania bounced back to win the other two sets and closed the match in 89 minutes.
In the second round, Sania will face World No. 15 and 12th-seeded Italian Flavia Pennetta, who had a bye in the first round. The two players have split their previous four meetings.
This is Sania’s third appearance here. She reached the third round on her debut in 2006 and made a quarter-final appearance last year.
- Australian Open: Sania out of doubles too - Jan 19, 2011
- Sania faces Koryttseva in Indian Wells opener (Lead) - Mar 11, 2009
- Sania to play Koryttseva in Indian Wells opener - Mar 11, 2009
- Somdev in second round of Indian Wells - Mar 11, 2011
- Somdev stuns World No. 31 Raonic, Sania loses to Kirilenko (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Australian Open: Sania loses in first round of women's singles - Jan 16, 2012
- Sania storms into second round of US Open qualifiers - Aug 25, 2010
- Asian Games tennis: Sania in singles, mixed doubles quarters (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Malaysian Open: Somdev goes down fighting to Baghdatis - Sep 28, 2011
- Wimbledon: Sania crashes out in singles first round - Jun 21, 2011
- Australian Open: Tough starts for Somdev, Sania (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- US Open: Sharapova, Del Potro cruise; Soderling, Williams pull out - Sep 01, 2011
- Woznicaki scrapes past Hradecka in China Open - Oct 03, 2011
- Sania goes down fighting in Hobart opener - Jan 11, 2010
- Indian Wells: Sania-Vesnina cruise into semis - Mar 15, 2012