Sampras keen on Federer breaking his Grand Slam recordJune 23rd, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 23 (ANI): Former U.S. tennis star Pete Sampras is keen to see Swiss Roger Federer break his 14 Grand Slam title record at Wimbledon next year.
World No 1 Federer, 26, will be going for his 13th Slam when Wimbledon starts this week, The Sun reported.
Sampras, 36, hopes the Swiss star will write himself into the history books.
The tabloid quoted Sampras as saying: “There is a burning desire in Roger to break my record and when he does it, I would like to be there. I said to Roger to make sure it’s in New York or London - Australia is a long way to go! I would want to be there to respect the record and just say ‘Congratulations’.
“If I was to step back on that court at Wimbledon to see him do it, it would bring up a lot of emotion because of what the place meant to me and how big it is to the sport of tennis. I have so much respect for Roger as a player and a person,” he added. (ANI)
- Federer surpasses Sampras' feat - Jul 16, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Gracious Sampras pays tribute to king of the Slams - Jul 06, 2009
- Federer concentrates on tennis amid Swiss football fever - Jun 20, 2010
- Sampras reckons Federer as greatest tennis player - Jul 05, 2009
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Sampras, Moya join hometown hero Li Na for exhibition tournament - Dec 17, 2011
- Safin may become Russian president: Sampras - Nov 01, 2011
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- Henman says it would be risky to write Federer off - Jul 02, 2010
- Djokovic, Cheruiyot, Barcelona win Laureus Awards - Feb 07, 2012