Same-sex parents ‘are more egalitarian than heterosexual parents’December 29th, 2010 - 3:39 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 29 (ANI): A new survey has shown that when it comes to dividing household tasks and parenting responsibilities, same-sex partners are more egalitarian than heterosexual parents.
Where lesbian couples are concerned, the mother who carries the baby and breastfeeds it, is not assumed to be the parent who will stay at home or be the main nurturer.
The study, Work, Love and Play, compared the experience of 317 same-sex parents, including 27 men, and 958 heterosexual parents, and it challenged the notion that biology is destiny.
“It is not uncommon for the biological capacity of mothers - childbearing, breastfeeding, nurturing - to be used as the rationale for women’s more limited participation in the workforce and their primary role as homemaker,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Jennifer Power, of La Trobe University, a co-author, as saying.
But among lesbian couples, generally both women take on a mothering role, regardless of who gave birth, and both tend to take on the work role. In other cases, the women changed roles over time.
The study found that compared with heterosexual parents, both same-sex parents are much more likely to be working part time.
Only 6 percent of Australian couples with children under the age of 15 have neither parent working full time, compared with 23 percent of lesbian couples.
The study found that perhaps because of the extraordinary effort gay people must go to, to have children, spending time with them is a big priority for both parents.
As a result, both partners tend to take responsibility for generating income and for all household tasks.
The findings have been published in The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy. (ANI)
- Court rules lesbian couple has equal right on child - Feb 17, 2011
- Do children need both mother and father? - Jan 22, 2010
- Same-sex couples as effective parents as traditional mom-dad ones - Jan 22, 2010
- Study: Children of Lesbian moms do well - Jun 08, 2010
- Narcissistic hetero men hostile towards hetero women, not lesbians - Jul 29, 2010
- Kids of gay and straight couples do equally well in school - Sep 01, 2010
- Lesbian moms reluctant to seek help when abused: Study - Feb 23, 2011
- Cuddling vital for long-term happiness among couples - Jul 05, 2011
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- Strong link found between victimization experiences, substance abuse - Feb 25, 2011
- Why is the trend of 'flexisexuality' catching up? - Feb 24, 2011
- Julianne Moore supports same-sex parenting - Nov 01, 2010
- Australian gay couple wins parenting right to twins - Jan 22, 2011
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: biology, co author, destiny, heterosexual parents, homemaker, household tasks, la trobe university, lesbian couples, morning herald, new survey, notion, nurturer, parenting responsibilities, part time, rationale, same sex parents, sex partners, spending time, sydney morning herald, workforce