Safina stranded again as Kuznetsova wins French Open (Lead)June 6th, 2009 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 6 (DPA) Svetlana Kuznetsova Saturday defeated Dinara Safina 6-4, 6-2 to win the French Open tennis, leaving the world number one still without a Grand Slam title.
Kusnetsova, seeded seventh, added the Roland Garros honour to her US Open crown from 2004. She also lost Grand Slam title matches to now-retired Justine Henin in Paris in 2006 and New York a year later.
“It’s been so many years since I won my first major,” said Kuznetsova, who was presented the trophy by former tennis great Steffi Graf. “I didn’t think I could do it again but today it happened.
“I’m still in the match. I went onto the court today calm and strong in my head. I’m calm but this is a big moment for me today.
“This is a very special moment for me, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. This time it happened. I played with all my heart.”
The defeat in 74 minutes ended as Safina double faulted.
The loss left the top seed in tears as she failed on the Paris stage for the second year in a row after losing the 2008 final to Serb Ana Ivanovic.
Safina quickly lost her nerve after breaking Kuznetsova in the opening game as the seventh seed put her big-match experience to best use on a chilly day with a court heavy after morning rain.
Safina struck seven double-faults and had 22 unforced errors, the same as Kuznetsosva, who broke five times.
The final was the third between the two Russians after Roland Garros, 2004 and the US Open the same year.
- Serena Williams loses in first round first time - May 30, 2012
- Kuznetsova wins second Slam as Safina loses again (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Azarenka eases into 3rd round at French Open - May 31, 2012
- Li Na appreciates hubby's support for her Australian Open campaign - Jan 29, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Kuznetsova wears French Open women's singles crown - Jun 06, 2009
Tags: ana ivanovic, dinara safina, double faults, dpa, french open, french open tennis, grand slam title, honour, justine henin, morning rain, nerve, open crown, paris stage, roland garros 2004, russians, special moment, steffi graf, svetlana kuznetsova, trophy, unforced errors