SAARC communication industry CEOs to meet in KathmanduNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:45 am ICT by admin
Speaking on the eve of departure before the conference, Pradeep Gupta, Chairman, CyberMedia, the publishers of Voice and Data, Dataquest and Dare said, “With the emergence of Internet, telecom is becoming a meta resource for economic development of developing nations.
“Leaders from the seven SAARC nations will shed their geographic boundaries to carve out strategies to deploy telecom to accelerate economic development in the region,” Gupta added.
The industry representatives will also discuss crucial areas like telecom penetration, quality of service, adoption of new technologies, and above all affordability. Prasanto K Roy, Chief Editor of Voice and Data says that the three-day Voice and Data CEO Conclave will bring together the industry think tank together on one platform to facilitate the creation of a plan to address major access, affordability and technology issues.
The CEO Conclave will also use the opportunity to identify and present SAARC Innovation Awards for the Telecom Industry.
The Conclave will also host the first summit of the SAARC Telecom Advisory Council (STAC) that will draw up a roadmap for telecom for 2008 and beyond.
The sixth Voice and Data CEO Conclave will also address opportunities for SAARC cooperation for meeting individual country telecom targets.
Shankar Prasad Koirala, IT and Telecom Secretary, Ministry of Information and Communications, Nepal and Dinesh Kumar Sharma, Chairman , Nepal Telecom Authority will represent the host country.
From India , Kulbeer Goyal, CMD, BSNL, R N Prabhakar, Member of TRAI and S K Vasistha, MD Railtel will spearhead the discussions.
Suren Jeevaka Amarasekera, CEO, Mobitel, Sri Lanka; Ravi Sankar, COO, VSNL Lanka; Nayeem M Chaowhury, Director. WorldTel, Bangladesh; Sultan ul Arfeen, Chairman, Telecard Limited, Pakistan and Ahmad Maumoon, Broadband and Fixed, Dhiraagu, Maldives will be eminent telecom leaders from their respective countries.
The eminent private sector players will be represented by Hari Dev Khosla, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Limited and Bharti Airtel’s CMO-East Hub G.V. Krishnan and Satyen Gupta, Chief Regulatory Advisor, SAARC Region, British Telecom Global. (ANI)
- Tourism should be part of political agenda: Sahai - Jul 06, 2012
- Maldives to nominate new SAARC secretary general soon - Jan 28, 2012
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- Chidambaram in Thimphu for SAARC security conference - Jul 22, 2011
- Pakistan, Bangladesh stay off SAARC anti-terror meet - Feb 09, 2012
- 17th SAARC Summit to take place in Maldives - Jan 02, 2011
- India takes over presidency of Saarc business chamber - Jan 23, 2012
- SAARC to get first woman secretary general - Jan 18, 2011
- Poll panels of SAARC countries establish forum - May 02, 2012
- South Asia needs innovative poll strategies: Quraishi - Apr 30, 2012
- India Pakistan talks an anomaly in SAARC: Secretary General - Feb 05, 2011
- Protect SAARC's shared cultural identity: Writer - Sep 29, 2011
- India unveils duty cuts for SAARC LDCs, says let's trust each other - Nov 10, 2011
- South Asia can become energy surplus: Bhutan PM - Apr 23, 2012
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: affordability, bsnl, ceo, chairman, conclave, crucial, cybermedia, dataquest, dinesh kumar, economic development, India, industry ceos, maldives, meta resource, nations leaders, nepal bhutan, pradeep gupta, railtel, saarc nations, telecom authority