Saadi Gaddafi’s plot to enter Mexico thwartedDecember 8th, 2011 - 8:37 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Dec 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s 38-year-old son Saadi Gaddafi was to be smuggled into Mexico but his plan was thwarted by Mexican authorities, the interior minister said.
Saadi and members of his family tried to enter Mexico in September, Alejandro Poire said Wednesday at a news conference in Mexico City.
The Libyan businessman and former football player fled Libya in September amid a NATO military operation against the Gaddafi regime. He was put on Interpol’s most-wanted list over allegations of corruption and intimidation dating from his time as head of the Libyan Football Federation.
Intelligence reports helped the Mexican authorities thwart the plot, which Poire said involved an “international criminal ring”, including two Mexicans, a Danish and a Canadian national, who were buying houses and opening bank accounts for the Libyan fugitives.
Mexican agents arrested several people in the operation, codenamed “Ghost”, said Poire.
The UN Security Council has passed a resolution imposing a travel ban on Saadi Gaddafi.
- Gaddafi's son to remain in Niger - Nov 16, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Saadi granted asylum in Niger - Sep 12, 2011
- Gaddafi's fugitive son says he is innocent - Oct 29, 2011
- Gaddafi threatens to kill Berlusconi: Italian daily - Jul 31, 2011
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
- Japan freezes $4.4 bn worth of Gaddafi regime assets - Jun 04, 2011
- Libya welcomes Russian efforts in peace talks - Jul 21, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- Gaddafi's family to sue NATO - Oct 26, 2011
- Qatar fighters patrol Libyan air space - Mar 26, 2011
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in September - Aug 24, 2012
- EU to unfreeze Libyan banks' assets - Dec 22, 2011
- US lifts most sanctions against Libya - Dec 17, 2011
- UN sees no military solution to Libya conflict - Aug 12, 2011
- Libya jails foreign mercenaries for helping Gaddafi - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: buying houses, football federation, football player, fugitives, gaddafi regime, interior minister, interpol, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, mexican authorities, mexicans, mexico city, military operation, muammar gaddafi, poire, ria novosti, saadi gaddafi, travel ban, un security council, wanted list