S. Africa’s Bishop Tutu gets a gift from the Dalai LamaApril 19th, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by ANI
Pretoria (South Africa), Apr. 19 (ANI) - Archbishop Desmond Tutu received a spiritual leadership award - and a gift from Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama - at Freedom Park in Pretoria on Saturday.After Tutu was granted the spiritual leadership award by an organisation called Humanity’s Team, it was announced that the Dalai Lama had also sent him a gift.
A representative of the Dalai Lama then draped a white scarf around his shoulders.
“Leaders such as Madiba (Nelson Mandela) spent 27 years in prison and humbly reconcile[d] with the enemy: One would expect them to be bitter. The Dalai Lama has been in exile for 50 years and one will expect that by now he should have been corroded by bitterness - and he is not,” said Tutu when receiving his award.Tutu, together with former president FW De Klerk, pulled out of a peace conference last month after the South African government refused the Dalai Lama a visa. The conference was cancelled after they pulled out.
On Saturday night, Tutu walked in to receive his award while an electric mix of African opera, pop and rock music was performed.
The audience who braved the cold evening weather gave him a standing ovation. (ANI)
- South Africa slammed for denying visa to Dalai Lama - Oct 04, 2011
- Will South Africa grant visa to Dalai Lama? - Sep 18, 2011
- Dalai Lama is not a separatist, Archbishop Tutu tells China - Feb 10, 2012
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- South Africa found it inconvenient to grant visa: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama visa denial dragged to South African court - Oct 18, 2011
- Dalai Lama cancels trip to South Africa due to visa delay - Oct 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama denied visa to South Africa: Report - Mar 22, 2009
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- South Africa's ban on Dalai Lama triggers furore - Mar 24, 2009
- Dalai Lama to meet Desmond Tutu - Feb 09, 2012
- Stop rights violations in Tibet: South African MPs - Nov 11, 2011
- South African peace conference called off over Dalai Lama ban (Lead) - Mar 24, 2009
- South African peace conference called off over Dalai Lama ban - Mar 24, 2009
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: archbishop desmond tutu, bishop tutu, bitterness, cold evening, dalai lama, de klerk, desmond tutu, former president, freedom park, leadership award, nelson mandela, peace conference, president fw, pretoria south africa, rock music, scarf, south african government, spiritual leadership, standing ovation, tibetan spiritual leader