Ryder is the third Kiwi to hit double ton against India (Statistical highlights)March 27th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Napier, March 27 (IANS) Jesse Ryder became the third New Zealander to hit a double hundred against India, reaching the milestone on the second day of the second cricket Test here Friday.
Bert Sutcliffe - 230 not out at Delhi in 1955-56, and Graham Dowling - 239 at Christchurch in 1967-68, are the other two New Zealanders to post double hundreds against India.
Overall, 15 double hundreds have been recorded for New Zealand. Stephen Fleming has posted three - the most by a New Zealander.
Ryder (201) also became the first batsman to post a double hundred at McLean Park here. Chris Gayle (West Indies) had made 197 in December 2008.
Other highlights of the second day’s play:
* James Franklin hit his first fifty against India - his second overall. Franklin’s 52 is his first fifty-plus in three years since registering a career-best unbeaten 122 against South Africa at Cape Town in April 2006.
* Brendon McCullum’s 115 off 140 balls is his third century in Test Cricket and makes him the first New Zealand wicketkeeper to post three hundreds in Tests.
* Daniel Vettori’s 19th fifty (55 off 72 balls) is his third against India.
* Five 50-plus individual scores were posted in New Zealand’s total of 619 for nine wickets declared, which equals their previous record - twice against South Africa and once each against Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.
* For the second time, three centuries have been recorded in New Zealand’s innings in New Zealand - the previous instance being against England at Auckland in 1983-84.
* New Zealand recorded their highest total against India in New Zealand, surpassing their 502 at Christchurch in 1967-68. Overall, New Zealand’s 619 for nine wickets declared is their second highest total against India, next only to the 630 for six wickets declared at Mohali in 2003-04.
* Virender Sehwag (34 off 25 balls) posted his highest score as captain. In his only previous Test as captain against Sri Lanka at Ahmedabad in 2005-06, he had recorded 20 & 0.
* Ishant Sharma recorded his sixth duck in Tests - his first against New Zealand. Ishant has recorded five ducks in 14 innings on foreign soil.
* New Zealand’s total is their third highest in Tests - their highest being 671 for four against Sri Lanka at Wellington in 1990-91.
- Black Caps set bench mark for batting powerplay - Mar 14, 2011
- Harbhajan creates record with his run fest (Statistical highlights) - Nov 14, 2010
- Ryder hits third Test ton as New Zealand fight back (Ahmedabad Test highlights) - Nov 06, 2010
- Sangakara's best innings in World Cup (Statistical highlights) - Feb 21, 2011
- Sehwag smashes 22nd Test ton, Dravid 30th (Ahmedabad Test highlights) - Nov 04, 2010
- Dilshan, Tharanga set World Cup records (Match highlights) - Mar 11, 2011
- Sehwag rewrite record books at historic Brabourne (Statistical highlights) - Dec 03, 2009
- Tahir claims four wickets on World Cup debut (Statistics) - Feb 25, 2011
- McIntosh hits maiden ton on Indian soil ( Statistical highlights, Day one) - Nov 12, 2010
- Sri Lanka in final, World Cup to return to subcontinent after 15 years (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2011
- Harbhajan strikes maiden century as first Test ends in draw (Ahmedabad Test highlights) - Nov 08, 2010
- Kallis completes a rare double in World Cup (Statistical Highlights) - Mar 16, 2011
- Sachin becomes first to score 2000 runs in World Cups (Match highlights) - Mar 10, 2011
- Virender Sehwag gets his 23rd Test century - Oct 03, 2010
- Watson, Haddin in record first-wicket stand for Australia at World Cup - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: brendon mccullum, chris gayle, christchurch, cricket test, daniel vettori, dowling, first batsman, highest score, james franklin, mclean park, mohali, new zealander, new zealanders, nine wickets, ryder, stephen fleming, sutcliffe, test cricket, virender sehwag, west indies