Russian woman jailed for killing 17June 4th, 2012 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A 40-year-old Russian woman was Monday sentenced to 20 years in jail for brutally murdering 17 elderly women with a hammer over an eight-year period.
Irina Gaidamachuk, a mother of two, murdered the women and robbed them. She began her crimes in 2003, said a court in the Urals region.
Gaidamachuk confessed to fraudulently entering the homes of her victims — aged between 61 and 89 — and killing them with a hammer before robbing their flats.
She was found sane by psychiatric experts.
Investigators said she became acquainted with the pensioners, won their trust and offered to help them around the house. Once inside, she killed them and stole their money.
Gaidamachuk was arrested in Krasnoufimsk town in June 2010. She will also have to pay 30,000 rubles (around $900) as legal expenses.
- Gazprom offers gas price discounts to EU firms - Jun 28, 2012
- Group of Russian brokers arrested in $3.2 bn scam - Nov 28, 2011
- Russian woman throws children from 15th floor - Jun 25, 2012
- Ex-Russian cop suspected of raping, killing 25 women - Jun 29, 2012
- Woman in Russia jailed for selling newborn son - Jun 03, 2011
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Russian thieves steal platinum - Dec 26, 2011
- Cops mugged, robbed by villagers in Siberia - Aug 20, 2012
- Two Russian pilots killed in crash - Sep 06, 2011
- Two held for looting 30 gays in Moscow - Mar 24, 2012
- To escape rape, Russian woman jumps from fourth floor - Jul 06, 2012
- Karzai tells NATO to stop bombing homes in Afghanistan - May 31, 2011
- Egypt presidential poll results to be announced Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Woman jailed for plotting daughter's murder - Jun 15, 2012
- Norway to build separate psychiatric ward for Breivik - Jun 29, 2012