Russian woman charged with $3m computer scam dubbed ‘world’s sexiest hacker’October 14th, 2010 - 3:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 14 (ANI): A Russian student, who has been accused of a plot to defraud British and U.S. banks of millions, has been dubbed as the ‘world’s sexiest computer hacker’.
Kristina Svechinskaya, 21, who was part of a gang aiming to steal 220 million dollars, appeared in court wearing leather boots and skin-tight jeans, the Daily Mail reported.
She is set to make another appearance in court after being charged with conspiracy to commit bank fraud and false use of passports, and if convicted, she could be jailed for up to 40 years.
In total, 37 people have been accused in New York over an East European-based plan to use an Internet virus to siphon money from the online accounts of small businesses and individuals.
Svechinskaya was one of four students at New York University said to have acted as “money mules” by opening hundreds of accounts.
Prosecutors claim she opened at least five bank accounts, which received 35,000 dollars of the stolen money.
The Eastern European gang made 2 million pounds a month from online accounts by stealing victims’ log-in details using ‘Trojan horse’ software which can be bought for just 300 pounds over the Internet.
According to the FBI, the ring managed to rake in around 70 million dollars of the huge amount it targeted. (ANI)
- 25 Russians charged in US banking fraud - Oct 02, 2010
- China closes 'biggest hacker site', arrests three - Feb 08, 2010
- Manhattan, NY computer hacker sentenced for stealing and laundering money - Apr 07, 2010
- Rs.16 crore credit card racket busted in Bangalore - Oct 28, 2011
- China to curb online phishing - Dec 30, 2011
- Two foreigners arrested for hacking bank passwords - Mar 06, 2012
- Two sisters arrested for defrauding Kolkata bank - Jul 01, 2012
- 'Cougar' mom Laura Lanham says she could be next big star in US - Apr 30, 2011
- Gang of cyber hackers busted in capital - Nov 27, 2010
- Two former employees of Bernard Madoff arrested - Nov 19, 2010
- Daughter of Malcom X charged with fraud and stealing personal identification information - Feb 23, 2011
- British gangs duping people to buy malicious software - Nov 15, 2010
- Spain busts Chinese ring peddling pirated goods - Jun 23, 2011
- 3,000 British bank accounts emptied by hackers - Aug 11, 2010
- Tri-Valley University head indicted in visa fraud - May 04, 2011
Tags: bank accounts, bank fraud, computer hacker, daily mail, fbi, four students, horse software, internet virus, leather boots, million dollars, mules, new york university, passports, prosecutors, russian student, russian woman, sexiest, skin tight jeans, small businesses, trojan horse