Russian warships to patrol Syrian coastApril 14th, 2012 - 9:21 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian warships will be continuously deployed for patrol duty off the Syrian coast in the Mediterranean, a defence ministry official said Friday.
“A decision has been made to deploy Russian warships near the Syrian shores on a permanent basis,” the official said.
Russia’s Kashin-class guided-missile destroyer Smetlivy is currently deployed near the Syrian coast.
“Another Black Sea Fleet ship will replace the Smetlivy in May,” the official said.
Several Russian warships were now on their way to the Mediterranean.
“This may be the Pytlivy frigate or one of the amphibious assault ships,” he said, adding that “deployment of a Black Sea Fleet task force to the region cannot be ruled out”.
The US, France, Britain, Germany and some other countries have deployed more warships to the Mediterranean since the outbreak of unrest in Syria.
More than 9,000 people have been killed in the violence, according to the UN.
On Thursday, the Syrian government declared a ceasefire with opposition fighters as part of a UN-brokered peace plan.
- Russian ship to hold drills off Syria - Apr 06, 2012
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Russian warships to exercise in Atlantic, Mediterranean - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia, Italy start anti-terror naval drill - Nov 08, 2011
- Russian navy ready to break Syria blockade - Jul 12, 2012
- Russian warships not to enter Syria port: Navy chief - Jul 27, 2012
- No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia - Jul 14, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- French warplanes strike Tripoli outskirts - Mar 20, 2011
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
- Gaddafi forces regain oil terminal town Al Brega - Mar 02, 2011
- US sends three warships to Libya - Mar 23, 2011
- Russian Navy to get 10 more n-submarines - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: amphibious assault ships, april 14, black sea, ceasefire, defence ministry, frigate, guided missile destroyer, kashin, mediterranean, ministry official, opposition fighters, outbreak, peace plan, ria novosti, russian warships, sea fleet, syrian coast, syrian government, unrest, us france