Russian warships to hold drills in Indian OceanNovember 2nd, 2008 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 2 (RIA Novosti) Russian warships from the Pacific and Northern fleets will conduct exercises in the Indian Ocean later this year.”Pacific and Northern fleet warships will meet and jointly perform a series of combat training missions in the Indian Ocean,” Russian Navy spokesman Captain Igor Dygalo said.
The Northern Fleet warships, led by the missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky (Peter the Great), would sail to the Indian Ocean after joint drills with the Venezuelan Navy in the Caribbean. A group of Pacific Fleet warships would go the Arabian Sea, calling at a number of ports en route, Dygalo said.
The Arabian Sea is strategically important as an intersection of major trading routes. The region has also lately been exposed to pirate attacks against commercial and civilian vessels.
Russia has vowed to protect the world’s main shipping routes against piracy.
A missile frigate from Russia’s Baltic Fleet has started patrolling waters in the Gulf of Aden to protect Russian ships and crews from pirate attacks.
Another Northern Fleet task force, led by the missile cruiser Admiral Kuznetsov, will conduct joint exercises with Black Sea Fleet warships in the Mediterranean in December.
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Russian nuke-powered missile cruiser to be in Goa for joint exercise - Aug 05, 2010
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Russian, Indian navies complete joint naval exercise - Feb 12, 2009
- Russia, India to hold joint naval exercise in January - Jan 12, 2009
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Nuclear-powered Russian missile cruiser to dock at Goa - Aug 05, 2010
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- Russian warships to exercise in Atlantic, Mediterranean - Jul 11, 2012
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Russian naval task force starts Venezuela visit - Nov 25, 2008
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011