Russian tourist drowns in GoaOctober 11th, 2008 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 11 (IANS) A 28-year-old Russian tourist drowned while swimming off a north Goa beach, police said Saturday. The dead man has been identified as Nikolai Lopatainsky. The incident occurred on Friday at the picturesque Ashwem beach, where Nikolai had gone for a swim with his friends Alexandra and Ilya Linberg.
When contacted, officials at the Pernem police station informed that the tourists had arrived in Goa from Hampi, a popular heritage tourism destination in Karnataka.
While Ilya and Alexandra were saved by alert fishermen who were nearby, Nikolai drowned before they reached him, informed the police.
Meanwhile, the three men held for the murder of 65-year-old Australian John Kelly at a bar in Goa have been remanded to seven days in police custody by a local magistrate.
The three employees of a 24×7 bar and restaurant in Calangute, a tourism hotspot in coastal Goa, had been arrested after Kelly’s death at a local hospital Wednesday.
Kelly had died of internal injuries after a scuffle with the trio following an argument with waiters over a bottle of beer, the police alleged. The incident had occurred at 6.30 a.m. Wednesday.
- Russian woman rescued from drowning in Goa - Jan 31, 2011
- Baywatch in Goa? Little hope for now - Apr 25, 2012
- Poll strictures could hurt Goa's tourism season - Jan 24, 2012
- Kazhak boy pulled into sea by strong waves - Sep 10, 2011
- Russians, Israelis have 'occupied' Goa's coastal villages: Congress - Feb 21, 2012
- Facelift of two popular Goa beaches to cost Rs.10 crore - Mar 22, 2012
- Russian arrested in Goa for overstaying - Aug 03, 2012
- 'Deport foreigners tending Goa bars sans work visas' - Jul 25, 2012
- Sex workers rescued from Goa nightclub - Dec 05, 2011
- Off season? No, off to Goa for 'raindrop tourism' (With Image) - Jun 16, 2011
- Goa to spend Rs.36 crore to battle sea erosion - Jul 25, 2012
- Goa modifies poll code to allow booze, food till late night - May 01, 2012
- Goa to ban smoking on its beaches next season - Jul 14, 2012
- 43 foreigners overstayed, 7 Nigerians missing: Goa minister - Mar 19, 2011
- Central forces to guard Goa during tourist season - Dec 06, 2011