Russian swimmer cut in half by boat propellerJuly 22nd, 2010 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 22 (IANS) A Russian swimmer’s life ended in tragedy after a speeding yacht spun out of control and cut her into half, even as the boat captain remained unrepentant, saying “if I stopped, I would have chopped up lots of people”.
The accident occurred in the Pirogovskoye reservoir after swimmers asked a passing yacht to create some waves for them. But after speeding up, captain Sergei Marchenko, 57, apparently lost control before running over Olesia Ivanova, 25, cutting her in half with his propeller, Moscow News reported.
Ivanova was seriously injured and died later in hospital.
Although eye-witnesses said Sergei Marchenko stopped briefly before speeding from the scene, he was unrepentant in an interview with Life News.
Marchenko said he had no intention of fleeing the spot and would have called the emergency services if he had known of Ivanova’s injuries.
“Why did I not slow down at once? Because if I stopped, I would have been carried over and chopped up lots of people. I knew that I would kill one or two, but would at least save the others,” he was quoted as saying.
He claimed he was an experienced mariner, both at sea and on inland waters.
The man who had rented the yacht was arrested, and could face five years in prison for careless use of transport causing the death of a person. Police are continuing investigation into the incident.
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Basketball: Russia seals Olympics berth - Jul 08, 2012
- Moscow to turn government offices into hotels - Feb 14, 2012
- Iran n-issue no excuse for US missile defence: Russia - Mar 24, 2012
- Moscow to cut 1,000 jobs in 2012 - Aug 19, 2011
- Chandhok finishes seventh at Silverstone - Aug 27, 2012
- We are open for cricket series against Pakistan: Dhoni - May 31, 2012
- Goa puts a freeze on new ore carrying barges - Jul 05, 2012
- Putin visits flood affected region - Jul 08, 2012
- British broadcaster Jonathan Ross injured during Top Gear stunt - Feb 07, 2011
- Rabid moose infects 14 Russians - Feb 13, 2012
- Foreigners involved in 20 percent of Moscow murders - Nov 23, 2011
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- Thorpe Bay Yacht Club Evacuated Over Fake Snake - Oct 21, 2010
- Rihanna breaks her toe while vacationing - Jul 25, 2012