Russian region imposes fine on clients of prostitutesJune 29th, 2012 - 10:25 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Men who buy sex in southern Russia’s Belgorod region will now face a considerable fine as well as public shaming, police said.
A new bill passed by the regional legislature has introduced a fines of 5,000 rubles ($150) for clients of prostitutes in Belgorod, police said.
The fines will be imposed by magistrates during open hearings that would expose the call girls’ patrons to the public.
Prostitution is illegal in Russia, but there is no federal legislation punishing prostitutes’ clients.
Belgorod has a track record of campaigning for morals under Governor Yevgeny Savchenko, who has been managing it since 1993 and is now the region’s acting head.
Savchenko’s administration prohibited the celebration of Valentine’s Day and Halloween in the region, after a local archbishop of the Russian Orthodox Church denounced both informal holidays as alien to Russian culture.
Local authorities have also prohibited heavy metal concerts in Belgorod as part of their campaign to “end Satanic activity” in the region.
- Russian army officer convicted for shooting guard dogs - May 17, 2012
- Valentine's Day banned in Russia's Belgorod province - Feb 09, 2011
- Russian lawmaker held for $1.3 mn scam - Apr 29, 2012
- Two held for looting 30 gays in Moscow - Mar 24, 2012
- Russian court fines man $20 mn for wildfire - Apr 10, 2012
- Putin top campaign spender - Mar 02, 2012
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Syrians held in Russia for poaching rare birds - Aug 09, 2012
- Six die in plane-crash in Russia - Mar 05, 2011
- Russia brings in Foreign Accounts Information Law - Jul 31, 2012
- Russian space firm accused of $17 mn fraud - Jul 10, 2012
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
- Russian Premier League chief runs for FA post - Jul 18, 2012
- Gay rights activists detained in Moscow - May 28, 2012
- UAE refuses to extradite Russian corporate crime suspect - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: belgorod, call girls, campaigning, federal legislation, heavy metal, local authorities, magistrates, metal concerts, morals, patrons, prostitutes, ria novosti, rubles, russian culture, russian orthodox church, russian region, savchenko, southern russia, valentine s day, yevgeny