Russian police kill five militants in DagestanJune 16th, 2010 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) At least five militants were killed in an operation carried out in Russia’s North Caucasus republic of Dagestan, a police spokesperson said Wednesday.
The spokesperson said four police officers were injured during the operation in a village in Dagestan’s Khasavyurt region.
Earlier Wednesday, unidentified assailants killed one police officer and injured another in an attack in Dagestan’s city Derbent.
Terrorist attacks are common in the Muslim-dominated North Caucasus republics, especially Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia. Russia has been fighting insurgents in the region since the mid-1990s.
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- 13 militants killed in Russia's Dagestan - Sep 13, 2010
- Car blast kills four in Russia - Jan 27, 2011
- Six policemen killed in Russia attack - Sep 06, 2012
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
- Five police officers killed in Russia's volatile North Caucasus - Feb 02, 2011
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- One killed, seven injured in Dagestan blast - May 08, 2010
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- Cop, two militants killed in Russia - Mar 18, 2012
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- Russian jailed for bombing that killed 19 - Apr 27, 2012
- Russian jailed for 14 years for 2010 bombing - May 31, 2012
- Gunmen attack investigators' car in Russia - May 22, 2010
Tags: caucasus republics, chechnya, dagestan, dg, hv, ingushetia, insurgents, mid 1990s, militants, moscow, muslim, north caucasus, police officer, police officers, police spokesperson, ria novosti, russia, russian police, terrorist attacks, unidentified assailants