Russian police arrests 28 activists during unsanctioned rallyJune 13th, 2011 - 2:41 am ICT by BNO News
MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) — Moscow police on Saturday arrested 28 opposition activists to prevent them from staging an unsanctioned rally during Russia’s Independence Day.
According to the state-run RIA Novosti news agency, about 150 people gathered in Moscow’s downtown Teatralnaya Square on Saturday in a bid to stage an unsanctioned Day of Wrath rally. Earlier in the day, police pledged to prevent any attempts of unsanctioned rallies or provocations as Russia is celebrating Independence Day.
Earlier there were reports saying that 800 people have come to Teatralnaya Square, but police dismissed them.
About 20 public events, including fairs, open-airs and mass festivities are currently being held in Moscow to mark the Independence Day.
- 28 detained in Moscow after unsanctioned rally - Jun 13, 2011
- Youth groups to guard Moscow streets during polls - Feb 22, 2012
- Pro-Kremlin groups to stage 26 rallies in Moscow - Mar 04, 2012
- Anti-Putin protest thwarted by police - Feb 01, 2012
- 20 protesters held in Moscow - Mar 09, 2012
- Police crack down on Michael Jackson fans in Russia - Jun 27, 2012
- Russian opposition to stage 'March of the Millions' - Mar 18, 2012
- Russian opposition holds Day of Wrath protest - Apr 11, 2011
- Twelve arrested after Russia-Ivory Coast game - Aug 16, 2012
- Motorists circle Moscow in anti-Putin protest - Feb 20, 2012
- Pro-Kremlin 'response rally' draws 25,000 in Moscow - Dec 12, 2011
- Russian police detain 2,100 to prevent ethnic clash - Dec 19, 2010
- Moscow allows poll protest Dec 24 - Dec 14, 2011
- Gay rights activists detained in Moscow - May 28, 2012
- Moscow rally halted as police arrest protesters - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: attempts, bno, celebrating independence day, day of wrath, festivities, independence day, moscow police, news agency, news moscow, novosti, open airs, opposition activists, police arrests, provocations, rallies, rally, russia, russian police