Russian pilot dies of heart attack mid-flightJanuary 21st, 2012 - 10:18 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A pilot of a UTair Boeing 757 flying from Bangkok to Novosibirsk in Russia’s Siberia region died as the plane was flying over China, officials said.
Sergei Golev, 44, sustained a heart attack in the cockpit and died despite all attempts at resuscitation, a local prosecutor’s office spokeswoman said.
Uralinform.ru reported that a cardiologist found among the passengers also failed to revive him.
The chief pilot attempted an emergency landing in the Chinese city of Chengdu, but abandoned it because Golev died before the jet touched down.
The incident took place Tuesday, but was not reported before.
Some media reports said the Boeing was bound for Moscow and executed an emergency landing in Novosibirsk, and that Golev, though a pilot, was flying as a passenger.
But a spokeswoman for the regional transportation prosecutors told Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper that the plane was flying to Novosibirsk and that Golev was a crew member — a reserve pilot tasked, ironically, with replacing a crew member in case they fall ill.
- Plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jul 04, 2011
- Five Russian journalists set free by Libyan rebels - Apr 09, 2011
- Russian airline orders 20 Airbus planes - Jul 13, 2012
- Depressurised plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jan 24, 2012
- Four killed in Russian chopper crash - Jul 05, 2012
- Russian attempts suicide after watching 'The Amazing Spider-Man' - Jul 07, 2012
- Russian plane makes emergency landing - Jun 09, 2011
- Pilot dies in Czech plane crash - Jun 11, 2012
- Three kids die in Siberian building collapse - Sep 14, 2012
- 11 survive Russian plane crash (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Russian kid found living with cows - Jul 28, 2012
- Five killed in Ukraine plane crash - Jun 10, 2012
- Man with binoculars killed near Ukraine nudist beach - Aug 29, 2012
- Putin unaffected by assassination plot - Feb 28, 2012
- Girl survives but her horse dies of electrocution - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: boeing 757, cardiologist, chengdu, chief pilot, china officials, chinese city, cockpit, crew member, emergency landing, heart attack, jan 21, komsomolskaya pravda newspaper, mid flight, novosibirsk, office spokeswoman, prosecutors, regional transportation, ria novosti, siberia, utair