Russian pensioner helps police nab phone thiefMarch 18th, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 18 (RIA Novosti) A 70-year-old woman in the Russian city of Rostov-on-Don helped police to catch a man who had stolen a cell phone from a boy, a police spokesman said.
The incident occurred Tuesday in the centre of the city when the old woman saw the mugger threatening two boys with a knife and taking a phone from one of them.
The woman rushed to help the boy and managed to snatch a phone from the thief’s pocket.
The woman then took the boy and his friend to the police station where they gave a description of the mugger.
However, it turned out that the phone the old woman had grabbed was not the one that the 25-year-old thief had stolen, but his own personal cell phone.
Police were then able to use the phone, registered in the mugger’s name, to track down and arrest the thief.
- Two killed in Russian trainer plane crash - Dec 04, 2011
- Russian ex-servicemen sentenced for stealing MiG parts - Jun 20, 2012
- Russian plane makes emergency landing - Jun 09, 2011
- Depressurised plane makes emergency landing in Russia - Jan 24, 2012
- 26-year-old wins Mrs. Russia beauty pageant - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia plans to host 2018 FIFA World Cup in 13 cities - May 07, 2011
- Woman stabs father, kills self - Sep 02, 2010
- Man goes on stabbing spree in Moscow - Dec 10, 2011
- Doctors perform sex change operation on toddler - Nov 30, 2011
- Lokomotiv Moscow release Stanislav Ivanov - Jul 11, 2012
- To escape rape, Russian woman jumps from fourth floor - Jul 06, 2012
- Russian woman found living with husband's body - Mar 11, 2012
- Child attacked by tiger in Russian zoo - Jan 04, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Woman suicide bomber held in Russia - Feb 05, 2012