Russian Navy to induct eight N-submarines by 2020July 30th, 2011 - 6:04 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian Navy will receive at least eight Graney class nuclear-powered attack submarines in the next decade, Navy chief Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said Friday.
“We are expecting to receive at least eight attack submarines of this (Graney) class by 2020,” Vysotsky said in an exclusive interview with RIA Novosti.
The admiral said that the first Graney class sub, the Severodvinsk, will start two-month-long sea trials in the White Sea in August, and it is expected to enter service with the Russian Navy by the end of 2011.
The second vessel, the Kazan, is being built at the Sevmash shipyard in the northern Russian city of Severodvinsk.
The construction of the third Graney class submarine will begin in 2011.
Graney class nuclear submarines are designed to launch a variety of long-range cruise missiles (up to 3,100 miles or 5,000 km), with conventional or nuclear warheads, and effectively engage submarines, surface warships and land-based targets.
The submarine’s armament includes 24 cruise missiles and eight torpedo launchers, as well as mines and anti-ship missiles.
- Russia's new attack submarine starts sea trials - Sep 13, 2011
- Graney class N-sub delivery to Russian Navy delayed - Dec 03, 2011
- Russia to launch new nuclear submarine on May 7 - Mar 15, 2010
- New Russian n-sub completes first sea trials - Oct 06, 2011
- Putin attends n-submarine ceremony - Jul 31, 2012
- New Russian nuclear submarine to enter service in 2010 - Dec 23, 2009
- Russia to lay down diesel submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia's n-powered submarine to enter service by June - Jan 21, 2012
- India to get Russian aircraft carrier by December - Jan 17, 2012
- Russia delays new nuclear submarine service - Dec 03, 2011
- No plans to retire Russia's Typhoon class submarine - Sep 30, 2011
- Russia to build n-powered destroyer by 2016 - Jun 30, 2011
- Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- No Russian submarine near US : Pentagon - Aug 17, 2012
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: armament, attack submarines, class submarine, cruise missiles, induct, kazan, long sea, navy chief, nuclear submarines, nuclear warheads, ria novosti, russian city, russian navy, sea trials, severodvinsk, shipyard, snb, surface warships, vladimir vysotsky, white sea