Russian missile cruiser visits CanadaNovember 9th, 2011 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Vladivostok (Russia), Nov 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian Pacific Fleet’s task force led by the missile cruiser Varyag has reached the Canadian port of Vancouver on a friendly visit, the fleet’s spokesperson said Wednesday.
The task force, which also includes the Irkut tanker and a salvage tugboat, set sail for a tour-of-duty in the Pacific Sep 20.
It has since visited the port of Maizuru in Japan and the US Mariana Islands, and took part in the Pacific Eagle-2011 exercise with the US Navy.
“The Royal Canadian Navy and Vancouver authorities have prepared an extensive cultural program for the Russian sailors…On Nov 9-10, residents of Vancouver will be able to tour the Varyag cruiser,” Capt. 1st Rank Roman Martov said.
The task force will leave Vancouver Nov 11 and is expected to return to home base in Vladivostok in the beginning of December.
Varyag, the flagship of the Russian pacific Fleet, is a Slava class missile cruiser designed as a surface strike ship with some anti-air and ASW capability. The sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles are mounted in four pairs on either side of the superstructure, giving the ship a distinctive appearance.
NATO experts have dubbed Russian combat ships of this class “the killer of aircraft carriers”, as they can launch 1,000 kg of high-explosives or a tactical nuclear warhead to a range of 300 miles.
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia conducts anti-submarine drills in Sea of Japan - Mar 24, 2010
- Foul-mouthed Russian submarine captain gets desk job - Jun 27, 2011
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Russia, India to hold joint naval drills in January - Nov 20, 2008
- Second stealth warship joins Russian Navy - Oct 14, 2011
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine - Aug 17, 2012
- US to redeploy naval fleet in Asia-Pacific region - Jun 02, 2012
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian Navy to get new air defence system - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: combat ships, distinctive appearance, friendly visit, high explosives, maizuru, mariana islands, martov, missile cruiser, nato experts, nuclear warhead, pacific eagle, port of vancouver, ria novosti, royal canadian navy, russian missile, russian pacific fleet, russian sailors, us navy, varyag cruiser, vladivostok russia