Russian military to wear berets for first timeApril 15th, 2011 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian troops will be wearing berets for the first time next month as they march in the annual parade to mark victory in World War II.
Most of the nation’s soldiers will eventually be kitted out in the new berets, defense ministry spokesperson Vladimir Drobyshevsky told reporters Friday.
The air force will wear light blue berets, similar to those paratroopers have worn for many years, and the army and other services will wear military green.
The only exception is the navy, Drobyshevsky said, as sailors they will stick to their traditional peakless cap, although other branches of the navy, such as the Coast Guards, will get black berets.
Russian soldiers currently wear field caps, which experts say is a hangover from Soviet times and serves to maintain the rivalry of the Cold War.
So, on May 9 it will be bereted troops who will march through Moscow’s Red Square to mark 66 years since the end of World War II, known in Russia as the 1941-45 Great Patriotic War.
Last year’s 65th-anniversary event took on special meaning as troops from Britain, France, the US and Poland marched across the hallowed cobbles of Red Square for the first time. The parade also included a 1,000-strong military band, tanks, missiles and flypast by 127 aircraft.
- Medvedev to meet World War II veterans - May 08, 2011
- Victory Day parade held on Moscow's Red Square - May 09, 2010
- Russia hosts spectacular 65th `V-Day' parade in Red Square - May 09, 2010
- Russian president unveils WWII memorial - May 08, 2010
- Chinese president meets Russian WWII veterans - May 08, 2010
- US troops were also a part of the 'Victory Day' parade on the Red Square - May 11, 2010
- Antony pays homage at Russian WW-II memorial - Oct 04, 2011
- Russian military cadet dies in skydive - Apr 05, 2012
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Russia will continue to back NATO mission: Putin - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia, France should join hands for united Europe : Putin - Sep 03, 2012
- Moscow ramps up security ahead of Putin inauguration - May 06, 2012
- Father of modern Chinese navy Liu Huaqing dies at 95 - Jan 15, 2011
- Putin's limousine invites traffic complaint - Jul 17, 2012
- Russian paratroopers receive chapel on wheels - May 28, 2011
Tags: 65th anniversary, anniversary event, black berets, cobbles, defense ministry, flypast, great patriotic war, hangover, military band, paratroopers, red square, ria novosti, rivalry, russian soldiers, russian troops, sailors, soviet times, spokesperson, time moscow, world war ii