Russian military chief visits USJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia’s military chief, Gen. Nikolai Makarov, Tuesday began a three-day official visit to the US to discuss the American missile defence plans, the Russian defence ministry said.
Makarov, chief of the Russian armed forces general staff, will hold talks with US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, a ministry spokesman said.
“The talks will focus on the discussion of the US missile defence plans,” he added.
Russian Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said Makarov would “make yet another attempt to explain (Russia’s) stance on missile defence at least at a chief of staff level”.
He warned that Russia would not ignore the deployment of the elements of the US missile defence in Europe and would respond adequately to any threats to its security.
Russia has retained staunch opposition to the planned deployment of US missile defence systems near its borders, claiming they would be a security threat.
NATO and the US insist that the shield would defend NATO members against missiles from North Korea and Iran and would not be directed at Russia.
Moscow insists it should receive legal guarantees from Washington that its European missile defense shield will not target Russia’s strategic nuclear forces.
The agenda of the talks between Makarov and his US counterpart will also include the discussion of bilateral military cooperation, and joint assessment of regional and global security.
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- US, Russia to continue missile defence talks - Aug 09, 2011
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- Russia to launch 100 military satellites - Feb 23, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- US not cooperating with Russia on missile defence: Minister - Sep 04, 2011
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: anatoly serdyukov, chairman of the joint chiefs, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, chiefs of staff, defence ministry, defence systems, joint chiefs of staff, legal guarantees, military cooperation, ministry spokesman, missile defense shield, nato members, nikolai makarov, ria novosti russia, russia moscow, russian defence minister, staff level, strategic nuclear forces, us counterpart, us missile defence