Russian, Indian navies complete joint naval exerciseFebruary 12th, 2009 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 12 (RIA Novosti) Russian and Indian naval ships have completed the final stage of the joint naval exercises, practising anti-piracy operations off the Somali coast, Russia’s Navy commander said.
INDRA is a biennial Russian-Indian exercise aimed at practising cooperation in enforcing maritime law and countering piracy, terrorism and drug smuggling.
INDRA-2009 was the fourth such exercise since 2003 and involved two stages, held in the Indian Ocean.
“The second stage of the INDRA-2009 exercise was held off the Somali coast and was primarily dedicated to anti-piracy operations,” Admiral Vladimir Vysotsky said Wednesday.
Russia was represented by the Pacific Fleet’s Admiral Vinogradov destroyer and the Northern Fleet’s Pyotr Veliky missile cruiser, Admiral Levchenko destroyer and several support ships. India sent the Tabar missile frigate.
“The Russian and Indian warships that took part in the exercise practised escorting commercial ships in the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden,” he said.
The admiral added that the warships made extensive use of deck-based aircraft to locate and monitor the movements of small boats that could have presented potential threats to commercial shipping.
“There were no attempts to seize commercial ships in the area during our exercise,” Vysotsky said.
Russia’s Pyotr Veliky missile cruiser and the Indian guided-missile destroyer INS Delhi took part in the first stage of INDRA-2009, which included a PASSEX type exercise practising combat interoperability and communications drills, and lasted from Jan 26 to Feb 1.
- Russian nuke-powered missile cruiser to be in Goa for joint exercise - Aug 05, 2010
- Russia, India to hold joint naval exercise in January - Jan 12, 2009
- Russian nuclear missile cruiser visits Goa port - Jan 29, 2009
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia, Norway to begin naval drills - May 11, 2011
- Nuclear-powered Russian missile cruiser to dock at Goa - Aug 05, 2010
- India, Russia to hold naval exercise (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- Indian Navy deploys western fleet ships on a goodwill visit - Aug 20, 2010
- Russia, India to hold joint naval drills in January - Nov 20, 2008
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Four Russian warships set to leave for China - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, commercial shipping, commercial ships, drug smuggling, guided missile destroyer, gulf of aden, missile cruiser, missile frigate, naval exercise, naval exercises, naval ships, navy commander, northern fleet, pacific fleet, pyotr veliky, ria novosti, small boats, somali coast, support ships, vladimir vysotsky