Russian humanitarian aid to Kosovo SerbsMay 7th, 2008 - 10:32 pm ICT by admin
Pristina, May 7 (RIA Novosti) The Red Cross has started distributing Russian humanitarian aid to the ethnic Serbian communities in Kosovo which declared independence from Serbia. Gracanica, some five km from Kosovo’s capital Pristina, with a population of 13,000 is one of the 22 Serbian inhabited areas that received the Russian aid.
“The humanitarian aid was provided at the request of the Serbian government and it is a sign of friendly relations between Russia and Serbia.” The head of Russia’s diplomatic mission in Kosovo, Andrei Dronov said.
The diplomat also said the situation of Serbs in Kosovo had deteriorated since the Albanian-dominated province proclaimed its independence from Serbia Feb 17.
The Russian aid, worth around 40 million roubles ($1.7 million), was flown to Belgrade in four deliveries in early April, and will eventually be distributed to a total of 7,000 Serbian families.
Kosovo, with a 90 percent ethnic Albanian majority, has been formally recognized as a sovereign state by 37 countries including the United States and most European Union members.
Russia and China continue to back Belgrade’s position that Kosovo’s independence declaration is illegal.
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Serbia arrests 10 for 1999 Kosovo killings - Dec 27, 2008
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Kosovans' mass grave found in Macedonia - Jun 16, 2010
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Russia to send humanitarian aid to Kosovo - Mar 26, 2008
- Exhumation of alleged mass grave begins in Kosovo - Sep 02, 2010
- Russian expert who sold rocket secrets to China freed - Jun 19, 2012
- War crimes suspect Hadzic extradited to The Hague - Jul 22, 2011
- Kosovo passes new constitution amid uncertainty over its future - Jun 16, 2008
- Tony Blair meets Kosovo's Tony Blairs! - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: andrei, capital pristina, deliveries, diplomat, diplomatic mission, ethnic albanian majority, european union, european union members, humanitarian aid, independence declaration, kosovo, kosovo serbs, red cross, ria novosti, russia, russian aid, serbia, serbian families, serbian government, sovereign state