Russian gays challenge bill in courtApril 3rd, 2012 - 5:39 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Gay rights activists in Russia have asked a court to strike down a controversial bill passed by the legislature in St. Petersburg that prohibits “propaganda” of homosexuality.
An LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) group called Vykhod said the bill allows for abuse because its basic concepts, including “propaganda”, “bisexualism” and “traditional and non-traditional marital relations”, have no legal definitions.
Any mention of homosexuality can now be considered an administrative offence under the bill, the group said.
Moreover, the preference given to “traditional marital relations” violates the principle of equality before the law, Vykhod said.
The bill, setting up fines for “gay propaganda”, came into force Monday. It is facing criticism from the LGBT community and rights activists both inside and outside Russia.
- Russian city to slap fine for promoting homosexuality - Feb 03, 2012
- Russian gay rights activist fined under new law - May 05, 2012
- Russian gay rights activists arrested under new law - Apr 07, 2012
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- Russian city bans homosexual propaganda - Feb 29, 2012
- Anti-gay propaganda bill passed in Siberia - Apr 26, 2012
- St. Petersburg gays to rally despite ban - Jul 07, 2012
- Russian gays plead for end to crackdown - Dec 02, 2011
- Gay propaganda banned in Russian city - Mar 11, 2012
- Madonna should be denied Russian visa: Theologian - Apr 06, 2012
- Madonna's album released in Russia three days early - Mar 23, 2012
- Amnesty International urges Russia to permit gay parade - May 19, 2011
- Madonna to support Russian gay community - Mar 23, 2012
- Madonna sued for $10 mn over Russian concert comments - Aug 18, 2012
- Gay activists fined in Russia - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: bisexual transgender, bisexualism, controversial bill, equality before the law, gay rights activists, legal definitions, lgbt community, moscow, offence, preference, principle, propaganda, ria novosti, russia, russian gays, st petersburg