Russian gas major to start drilling in Gulf of VenezuelaNovember 7th, 2008 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas (Venezuela), Nov 7 (RIA Novosti) A Russian floating platform will start to drill exploratory test wells for natural gas in the Gulf of Venezuela Friday, Russian gas major Gazprom said. Alexander Medvedev, deputy chairman of Gazprom, said the opening ceremony will be attended by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Russian Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin as well as representatives of Russian companies.
In 2005, Gazprom won a tender to prospect and develop natural gas blocks Urumaco 1 and Urumaco 2 in the Gulf of Venezuela.
Chavez earlier said that the Gulf of Venezuela has natural gas reserves of 100 billion cubic meters.
The Venezuelan leader urged other countries to take part in exploration drilling in the territorial waters of Venezuela.
Venezuela’s proven natural gas reserves amount to 4.1 trillion cubic meters. The Latin American country holds the second largest natural gas reserves in the western hemisphere after the United States.
Russia in recent months have stepped up diplomatic efforts to strengthen its trade and military ties with Latin American countries. It has been negotiating several treaties with Venezuela including cooperation in energy and financial security.
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
- Production at Venezuela gas field to start in 15 months - Sep 07, 2012
- Russia-China trade turnover doubles to $60 bn in 2010 - Jun 04, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuela's ruling party wins majority in election - Sep 27, 2010
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- North Korea to get $100 mn for Russian gas transit - Nov 17, 2011
- Russia, Venezuela sign deals on joint bank, aluminum plant - Nov 09, 2008
- Russia to help Venezuela develop nuclear project - Apr 03, 2010
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fight - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Venezuela forgives any debt held by Haiti - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: alexander medvedev, gulf of venezuela, latin american countries, latin american country, natural gas reserves, president hugo chavez, ria novosti, venezuela chavez, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez