Russian gang nabbed in US for $279 mn fraudMarch 1st, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A gang of 36 Russians has been arrested in New York for allegedly running a $279-million insurance fraud involving fake car accident victims, corrupt doctors and lawyers, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said.
Doctors who were members of the scheme opened over 100 fake clinics across New York that provided treatment to purported crash victims who were allegedly paid up to $10,000 a month “to show up once a week just to sign referrals”, the FBI said in a statement.
The lawyers involved in the scam advised the phony patients on what injuries to claim in order to boost the insurance payments.
The criminal scheme exploited New York’s “no-fault” vehicle accident law that guarantees up to $50,000 for victims.
New York attorney Preet Bharara called the scam “the largest single no-fault automobile insurance fraud ever charged”.
If found guilty, the defendants face jail terms ranging between 30 and 70 years.
- 25 Russians charged in US banking fraud - Oct 02, 2010
- US gang recruiting Russian women for strip clubs busted - Dec 01, 2011
- Russia slams hacker's extradition to US - Jan 20, 2012
- Indian-American couple scammed $460M from New York project - Jun 21, 2011
- Russian jailed in US for bank fraud - Mar 25, 2012
- I'm soaring like condor after surgery: Chavez - Mar 01, 2012
- Rajat Gupta's trial set for April 9 - Oct 27, 2011
- Putin urges Russians not to destabilize country - Dec 15, 2011
- Rajat Gupta indicted in insider trading case - Oct 26, 2011
- Wall Street Sheriff Preet Bharara on Time cover - Feb 03, 2012
- Sharapova reaches US Open semi-finals - Sep 06, 2012
- Former Miss Russia again held in US on drug charges - May 19, 2010
- US woman busted for running boob, booty silicone clinic inside home - Jan 15, 2011
- Manhattan woman pleads guilty to fraud involving foster children aid - Sep 23, 2010
- Ex-Goldman Sachs director Gupta arrested, charged in insider trading case - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: accident law, automobile insurance, car accident victims, crash victims, criminal scheme, doctors and lawyers, fbi, federal bureau of investigation, insurance fraud, insurance payments, investigation fbi, jail terms, phony patients, preet bharara, purported crash, ria novosti, russian gang, russians, vehicle accident, york attorney