Russian flood toll rises to 144July 9th, 2012 - 8:50 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 9 (IANS) The toll in the devastating floods in southern Russia reached 144 Sunday, as the country continued to grapple with one of its worst floods in decades.
In the rain-swept Krasnodar region, 144 people have died, of which five were killed by electric shocks, Xinhua quoted the Russian Interior Ministry as saying.
Many residents were killed by flood waters late Friday night while being asleep, said local media.
Around 80 others, including 13 children, had been hospitalised, said the ministry, adding that another 205 people, including 48 children, had sought medical aids.
According to the ministry, intensive relief operations were continuing in the region struck by rains and floods since Friday.
Krymsk, Gelendzhik and Novorossiisk are the three most severely hit districts in the country’s southern region.
According to the Emergency Situations Ministry, nearly 30,000 people in Krasnodar had suffered from a blackout due to flooding and over 5,100 houses had been affected.
On Saturday, President Vladimir Putin flew to Krasnodar and held emergency meetings with local authorities on the flooding.
Krasnodar’s governor Alexander Tkachyov has declared Monday as the day of mourning for the flood victims.
–Indo-Asian News Serivce
- Over 140 dead in Russian floods (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Putin visits flood affected region - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia mourns flood deaths - Jul 09, 2012
- Russia rains: Toll rises to nearly 80 (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Russia to spend $280 mn on flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Rains, floods kill 50 in Russia - Jul 07, 2012
- Four kids among 171 dead in Russian floods - Jul 10, 2012
- Putin orders probe into improper flood warning - Jul 10, 2012
- Russian flood toll rises to 100 - Jul 08, 2012
- Three held over deadly Russian flood that killed 153 - Jul 22, 2012
- Putin reaches flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- 11 dead in Russia flooding - Oct 17, 2010
- Two Russian women killed by hurricane - Jan 28, 2012
- US offers help in Russia flood disaster - Jul 08, 2012
- Putin warns of action over slow flood warning - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: 100 houses, asian news, electric shocks, emergency meetings, emergency situations, flood toll, flood victims, flood waters, gelendzhik, krasnodar, local authorities, medical aids, novorossiisk, president vladimir putin, relief operations, russian interior ministry, southern russia, vladimir putin, worst floods, xinhua