Russian flood toll rises to 100July 8th, 2012 - 3:09 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 8 (IANS) Over 100 people have died and more than 90 injured by devastating floods in Russia, with most of the victims dying in Krymsk, the worst affected town, RIA Novosti reported Saturday.
According to the latest information, Russia’s worst flood in decades killed at least 103 people and injured 91 in Krasnodar region with the majority of the victims having died in the town of Krymsk, said the Interior Ministry.
There was a powerful stream of water that had swept Krymsk overnight, Irina Kizilbasheva, a witness told news website Gazeta.ru.
“People are distressed, they say that no one had warned them about the flood. We have found several streets where people’s corpses were lying on the ground…,” Kizilbasheva added.
The regional authorities, however, called the people’s claims “a complete nonsense”.
Talking to the Ekho Moskvy radio station, a spokesperson of the Krasnodar region’s governor denied that the authorities did not warn residents about flood’s possibility.
The residents just did not want to leave their houses, she added.
Those people whose houses have been destroyed by the floods will receive 100,000-ruble compensation (about $3,000), said Russia’s Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov.
A sum of 50,000 rubles ($1,500) will be paid to the residents whose dwellings had been partially-destroyed, the minister added.
- Russia mourns flood deaths - Jul 09, 2012
- Russia to spend $280 mn on flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Over 140 dead in Russian floods (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Four kids among 171 dead in Russian floods - Jul 10, 2012
- Russian flood toll rises to 144 - Jul 09, 2012
- Putin orders probe into improper flood warning - Jul 10, 2012
- Putin visits flood affected region - Jul 08, 2012
- Rains, floods kill 50 in Russia - Jul 07, 2012
- Russia rains: Toll rises to nearly 80 (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- US offers help in Russia flood disaster - Jul 08, 2012
- Stalin grandson sues Moscow radio station - Mar 25, 2011
- Putin reaches flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Exhausted Russian reporters plan anti-demonstration protest - Mar 13, 2012
- Three held over deadly Russian flood that killed 153 - Jul 22, 2012
- Hyundai to launch tablet production in Russia - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: complete nonsense, corpses, dwellings, ekho moskvy, emergencies, flood toll, floods in russia, gazeta ru, interior ministry, irina, krasnodar region, lying on the ground, moscow, novosti, radio station, regional authorities, ruble, rubles, spokesperson, vladimir