Russian ex-army officer jailed for spyingDecember 8th, 2011 - 7:53 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A retired Russian Army major has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for spying for Georgia.
Vladimir Klenkov passed classified information concerning the location of Russian military units in the Southern Military District to Georgian intelligence services, investigators alleged.
The North Caucasus district court Wednesday convicted him of high treason and stripped him of his rank of retired major.
This was the second conviction in a case of espionage concerning Georgia in recent months.
In October, Sr. Lt. David Aliyev and his mother Irina Aliyeva were sentenced to 10 and eight years in prison respectively.
Aliyev, deployed to a military unit in Russia’s Southern Military District, was found to “have been collecting secret information on orders from Georgian intelligence services”. His mother was convicted of conveying the information to Georgia.
- Russia jails military officer for spying for CIA - Feb 10, 2012
- Russian convicted of leaking military secrets - May 18, 2012
- Russian professors jailed for selling missile secrets to China - Jun 20, 2012
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- Iran pardons 130 inmates ahead of Eid al-Fitr - Aug 16, 2012
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- Former Dutch pilot jailed for spying for Russia - Dec 15, 2011
- Estonian charged with spying for Russia - Feb 23, 2012
- Belarus arrests Lithuanian spies - Jul 13, 2012
- Russian court upholds 12-year sentence for US spy - Jul 30, 2012
- Poland releases Russian spy on parole - Nov 17, 2011
- Former Russian spy sentenced 25 years for helping U.S. - Jun 28, 2011
- Russian army helicopter crashes - Aug 16, 2012
- Libya jails foreign mercenaries for helping Gaddafi - Jun 04, 2012
- Unicef condemns prison abuse of minors in Georgia - Sep 21, 2012
Tags: aliyev, army officer, conviction, espionage, high treason, intelligence services, investigators, irina, lt, military district, military unit, military units, moscow, north caucasus, ria novosti, russia, russian army, secret information, vladimir