Russian diplomat wants Prince Harry to be Tsar of vacant throneMay 4th, 2011 - 3:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 4 (ANI): A leading former Russian diplomat has put forward the idea that Prince Harry, the third in line to the British monarch, should be offered Russia’s vacant throne.
Alexander Baunov, who is a diplomat-turned-journalist, thinks that Harry, 26, should be crowned the first king of Russia since Tsar Nicholas II reined in 1917 on the eve of the Bolshevik Revolution.
“Let him receive parades, make visits, give dinners and offer New Year congratulations,” the Daily Mail quoted Baunov as stating.
He said the prince could perform a symbolic role as head of state, allowing Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev, currently premier and president respectively, to concentrate on politics and running the country.
“We have no Royal Weddings, and I don’t see anything good about this. All our court life revolves around overweight MPs, untalented singers and graduates from TV reality shows,” Baunov said.
“Looking at the wedding and its preparations in England, I think that it would be good to restore the monarchy here,” he stated.
While there is currently no undisputed claimant to the defunct Romanov throne, Baunov points out that Harry has plenty of royal Russian blood coursing through his veins.
“His great great grandmother was the great duchess Olga Konstantinovna Romanov,” he said.
“Moreover, King George V, who ruled from 1910-36, was a cousin of our Tsar Nicholas II, so the British princes are his distant nephews,” he explained.
Olga, granddaughter of Tsar Nicholas I and cousin of Tsar Alexander III, was Queen of Greece, and is the paternal grandmother of Prince Philip. (ANI)
- Heir demands reopening of investigation into murder of Russian Tsar Nicholas II - Jan 16, 2010
- Tsar's murder case reopens in Russia after 90 years - May 13, 2010
- Manmohan's family visits execution site of Russia's last tsar - Jun 16, 2009
- US returns stolen historical documents to Russia - Feb 26, 2011
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Prince Harry - now in a comic strip - Aug 26, 2011
- Manmohan's family goes on trip down Russia's tsarist past (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- Marriage not on cards for Prince Harry - Jun 10, 2011
- Will-Kate wedding: European royals receive warning fax - Jan 26, 2011
- Prince Harry wants to be reggae DJ? - May 08, 2012
- Russia's last tsar, family members declared victims of repression - Oct 01, 2008
- Russian executed in 1918 cleared 94 years later - Aug 24, 2012
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Russia closes probe into murder of last tsar Nicholas II - Jan 15, 2009
Tags: bolshevik revolution, british monarch, daily mail, dmitry medvedev, george v, great grandmother, head of state, new year congratulations, paternal grandmother, prince harry, prince philip, royal weddings, russian blood, russian diplomat, symbolic role, tsar alexander iii, tsar nicholas i, tsar nicholas ii, tv reality, vladimir putin