Russian deputy PM backs hypersonic bomberAugust 27th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin Monday reiterated his appeal for developing a hypersonic aircraft for its PAK-DA long-range bomber requirements.
“I think we need to go down the route of hypersonic technology and we are moving in that direction and are not falling behind the Americans,” he told Rossiya 24 TV. “We will use this technology when developing a new bomber.”
Long-range military aviation is vital to Russia and “the question is will we copy the Americans’ 40-year experience and create a [Northrop] B-2 analog…or will we go down a new, ultramodern technology route, looking to the horizon, and create a machine able to penetrate air defences and carry out a strike on any aggressor,” he said.
Rogozin’s latest comments come just days after a test of America’s X-51 Waverider hypersonic unmanned test vehicle failed after a control fin broke up and the aircraft fell into the sea.
Russian Air Force Long Range Aviation commander Lt. Gen. Anatoly Zhikharev has previously said that the first PAK-DA (an acronym for future long-range aircraft) bomber should enter service by around 2020, and its outline design is currently being devised.
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- Russia could deploy unmanned bomber after 2040 - Aug 03, 2012
- Putin calls for new long-range bomber and UAVs - Jun 15, 2012
- Russia to build fifth-generation bombers - Jun 09, 2012
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia denies 'systemic crisis' in space industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Russian plans aerospace university - May 06, 2012
- US tests hypersonic weapon - Nov 18, 2011
- Poland to replace Sukhois with unmanned aircraft - Aug 15, 2012
- Russian military to get new pistol - Jun 14, 2012
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
- Chavez offer base for Russian strategic bombers - Mar 15, 2009
- Russian firm to build dozens of transport aircraft by 2020 - Jan 20, 2012
- Russian Air Force gets first modernized AN-124s - May 17, 2012
- Russia seals missile deal - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: acronym, aggressor, air defences, analog, anatoly, deputy prime minister, dmitry rogozin, horizon, hypersonic aircraft, military aviation, northrop, outline design, range aircraft, range bomber, ria novosti, russian air force, russian deputy, test vehicle, unmanned test, vm